DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I've had my Goldendoodle, Bentley, for about two weeks now.  He is about 10 weeks old.  Recently we introduced him to a friend's Labrador, and he started to growl and bark at him aggressively.  I also carried him around Petsmart one day and he acted the same way towards a German Shepard that was much bigger than him.  He acts very friendly and respectful towards our larger dogs at home, and he plays well with my mom's puppy who is about the same size as him.  Is his growling and aggression towards these unfamiliar, larger dogs out of fear? Should I be worried about him being aggressive towards other dogs in the future? Also, should I respond towards his behavior in a specific way?  When he does it, I tell him that "it's okay" and try to calm him down.  I really want to be able to take him places where there are others dogs when he is older!

Sorry for all the questions!!

Tosca & Bentley :):)

Views: 200

Replies to This Discussion

I'll be watching this thread with interest!

My 14 week old, sweet laid back little girl has decided to get noisy with gigantic pit bulls on two occasions.  She doesn't understand that she's a Q-tip and they were tanks.

I know it is hard ( I am as guilty as the next guy) but don't do "the calming, it's okay bit" because if it is fear, you are reinforcing it.  At 10  or even 14 weeks I think it is pretty early to decide that there is an aggression problem. Barking and growling are also a sign of wanting to play.  I would continue to expose them to places, people and situations.  Note when their comfort level stops and don't force it too quickly.  Baby steps.

When you introduced Bentley to the Lab was Bentley leashed? The first tool dogs use to deescalate situatations is retreat and if they don't have that option they might growl/lash out.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service