DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and I wish that it was a happier one!  We were expecting to recieve our mini-goldendoodle Molly from the breeder this week, but I just recieved an e-mail saying that the puppys have come down with diarrhea and she cannot send them home until it clears up (understandable!) 

However, I am now worried about the puppy's health along with the delay in her coming home with us.  We've been reading a lot of Ian Dunbar's training materials that talk about how important socialization with the new family is starting at 8 weeks. Molly is 9 weeks now, and will be delayed 7-10 days for the medication to work.

I'm also worried about her health and wondering what kind of questions I should be asking the breeder to make sure that we're getting a healthy puppy.  Can any of you give me some advice as to what questions I should be asking?  I have asked the breeder for her vets number so that i can speak to him/her directly.

Thanks very much.

Views: 226

Replies to This Discussion

We got Winston at 11 weeks, and I can't see a difference from the people I know who've gotten there dogs earlier. He seems normal with us in every way (he's still a crazy puppy, but that's to be expected).

As for questions I would ask- Was the diarrhea bloody? Is there any vomiting accompanying it? Have they tested for parvo? Have they done a fecal test for worms/parasites? Is their energy level normal? Probably a lot of other questions that other people on here will think of too...

It's probably just some kind of parasite which most can be treated pretty easily.. but I would still confirm.

I don't think a week delay getting the puppy will affect the socialization. To be honest, I have more respect for a breeder that will delay sending the puppies home in order to make sure they are healthy than one sending out sick puppies.

The main question I would have is what caused the diarrhea. It could be something like Giardia. I would want to also know what was used to treat the problem. Getting the vet number and talking to them is great along with any vet records to give to your own vet. If it is Giardia, there is a good chance you will have to retreat. The suggestion of a Parvo test is a good one, too.

I agree with Sue and think it is great that the breeder won't send the puppy home until she is better.  I would definitely make sure you ask what caused it and get the records from the vet as to the diagnoses and what meds were used to make it better.  

Libby came to us at ten weeks and there was no problem what so ever with socialization!  I would definitely ask some questions as to the reason for the diarrhea and what type of medication the puppy is on.

I would be worried if the breeder sent home puppies that were sick and many will. Be glad yours won't the time you are losing isn't that big of a deal as you would be spending it very frustrated with a sick puppy and could do more harm then good in a situation like that.

It seems you have a good breeder who is concerned about the health of the puppies.  This is not a negative.  Your dog will be fine regardless of what age you receive her.  If this was not the case then rescue dogs would have no hope.  It is about the temperament of the dog, not at what age they become a member of your family.

Relax and look forward to the new addition to your pack!

Thanks so much to everyone for your comments and advice!  I've never owned a dog before, so it is very helpful to get some advice from all of you.  The breeder says that she thinks the diarrhea was caused by spring run off in the water - i'm guessing they may have been exposed when outside.  She says that their energy level is normal, but they just aren't eating as much. 

I've asked about what meds she is giving them to treat the issue and am waiting for a call back from the vet (don't have my hopes up that he'll actually ever call me back at this point, but i will keep trying!)

I would want to know specifically what drugs are being given to your pup, from that information you may be able to deduce what the cause of the upset is.  Diarrhea in puppies is potentially extremely serious. A lot of puppies are sent home with Giardia which is a parasite and particularly difficult both to diagnose and eliminate completely. Giardia can be found in standing water. If this is what it is I would want an absolute assurance that it is completely cleared, I would not worry so much about an extra week or so but the health of your puppy would of course be more concerning. I'm hoping that you have a great Breeder whose standards are, as laid down in our guidelines here in 'what to look for in a breeder' and that she is being particularly careful to give you a healthy puppy. Good luck and keep us posted.

She is being treated with a combo of s125 and metronidicile, and the breeder says it seems to be working.  Do any of you have experience with those meds?

Apparently she has started to have an appetite again.  The idea of bringing a sick puppy home has me very nervous - the breeder seems to have been very forthright about the issue and has been keeping us well updated on how the puppy is doing though, so that gives me comfort.

Metronidazole is commonly used to treat general diarrhea without a known cause. Winston has been on in several times throughout puppyhood. It does a great job but from my experience if there is an underlying issue they diarrhea will be back. Not familiar with s125.

I would also ask about coccidia.  It causes yellow, diarrhea full of mucus and I believe takes a different medication than metronidazole to clear it up.  For sure, I would want something from the Vet that tells you what organism they are infected with.  I think your concern is well founded.  Regarding the age, I don't think that is going to be a problem if the dogs are getting some socialization with the breeder.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service