DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Cider is driving me insane. He doesn't pull ever, he usually walks beside me or just behind me...but recently he has decided that he walks for a little bit and then lays in the grass or just sits and won't budge. A couple tugs on the leash doesn't phase him, calling him is useless, I've tried coaxing him with treats which he'll come and get and then sit right back down. I turn my back and sometimes that gets him to move otherwise, we are in a standoff. What is going on, has anyone else dealt with this? He's crated during the day from 9-12:30 and then I come home at lunch to let him out and the back in the crate from 1:30-5:30. I try to walk him in the morning and when I get home from work...I figured he'd be more interested in walking and getting outside since he's in a crate for hours at a time during the week.

He's also mouthing pretty good now so anytime I go to pet him he tries to chew on me. And he's not very "cuddly". On occasion he'll come and lay down on the floor next to me but most of the time if I sit down next to where he is resting/laying he'll get up an move away. I know he was not very happy about me cleaning his ears and eye boogies, is he holding it against me? I'm having a hard time bonding with him. I don't know what to do. 

Views: 202

Replies to This Discussion

Take your dog to the vet ASAP!. Sounds like your dog is not feeling well. Seriously.

My puppy was the same! He pretended that he's tired and laid on a grass and didn't move, but when we came back home he started playing, running and all this stuff! We've just checked him (1 week ago ) with vet - he is very healthy puppy! I think, it's just he wants to rule! :) Now he is very calm with us, and goes whenever we want! :)

Oh. I was assuming your puppy was leashed trained. I probably should have asked about that.

I agree with Amber. If he is suddenly not wanting to walk I would get him checked out.

Unless it is an anxiety thing - Chester gets scared at night and won't budge then.

As for the cuddling- Sometimes Chester is a big goofy Lap dog, sometimes He flumps off on cool tile on his own.

I am sure once he gets used to the routine of ears he won't hold it against you.

I am having the same issues with walking so I am very interested in the replies.  Wrigley doesn't want to budge!  He is starting puppy kindergarten on Thursday so I will let you know if I learn anything!  Also, the training school we are attending recommends getting the gentle leader dog collar.  It goes around your dogs nose and back of his neck (as opposed to around the front of his neck) and supposedly works wonders for lots of their clients.  I got one, but haven't really had luck so far.  Wrigley rolls around on the ground and tries desperately to get it off.  I am hoping I will have more luck once we start class!  Good luck!

Jenna, you have exactly the same problems that we have. It just like you are talking about my puppy :D !!!! Don't worry, just read this:

Everyday Behaviour Dilemma 2 - Nipping

What's happening: When you start to play with your puppy, she starts to bite. She always nips when you touch her.

How you respond: You hold her mouth, thinking (and hoping) this will teach her to stop. Instead, the behaviour gets worse. You try saying "stop it!" several times, but your puppy just gets more excited.

How your puppy sees it:

She thinks: ìThey get me all excited to play, and then put their hands on me. I joined in the game and started nipping. Then, they started yelling, which seemed like a lot of fun, too!

Diagnosis: Nipping is natural behaviour for puppies, and touching an excited puppy will almost always increase nipping. You need to learn new ways to interact with your puppy when she is nipping.

A trainer recommends: Teach your puppy acceptable play behaviour. Keep your hands off your puppy when sheís excited. When lead bonding, practice saying ìouch!î in a stern way when your puppy nips you, and ignore her (or use the lead) until she settles. Encourage play that does not include nipping. Give your puppy appropriate things to chew, such as a kong or dental rope.

http://www.puppybasics.com/pt2.asp

and read this:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/dogwalk.htm

http://www.dogtraininggeek.com/dog-leash-training.html

It helps! We've tried it once and it works!! like magic !!! :) Just stop calling him when you're walking, turn and go and he'll follow you!!! You are the boss, and not him!!!

Well we went for a walk tonight and he was much better.  I don't believe he is ill, he runs around the house and in the backyard it's just when we are on walks in the past few days where he will flop in the grass, chew on the grass, chew on his leash....etc. I feel like it is a behavioral issue, that he is testing me or at some point I gave him the impression that he's the boss!!! 

We head to the vet this Saturday so I will definitely ask some questions just to be sure he isn't behaving like this because he isn't feeling well.

We have the same problem walking our 8 month old GD.    Some days we might get 3 blocks before she decides she just wants to stop other times we only make it down the driveway.    If my husband or daughter walk with us she will be fine.  My daughter claims I use her as Lucy bait.  It's true, I do.    Walking has always been an issue.  At first I thought she was sick but now I think there are times she just doesn't feel like walking.  She will play endless fetch with no problem so I know she isn't in pain.     I use to try walking her twice a day now I just walk her in the evening and I think she likes that better.

When we first brought her home I was so stressed about having a dog....I had never wanted one but the rest of the family did.    Our first few months were rough but it has gotten much easier.  I can honestly say that I love this dog immensely, in fact, probably more than anyone else.      

Good luck with the bonding and know that it will get better in time.

Buddy will slow down and almost stop on our walks. If I start walking fast and kind of trotting or jog movement, he perks up and moves right along. I don't run and don't trot fast and is more of a fast walk. I think the movement of picking my legs up higher interest and excite him enough to get him moving.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service