DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Wondering what you guys recommend.  Break away collar?  Or regular collar?  Do you prefer buckle collar or ones that clip together?

Any brands you recommend?

Harness is only for walks, right?  If I'm just taking him in the backyard to go bathroom, I would just use regular leash (our backyard is not fenced).

Also do you have identification tags that dangle or should I get the type of collar that has the identification plate attached?

The breeder told me I should get a lightweight small collar (like a cat collar) initially until he gets used to it.  So I"m planning on using that first but I'm inquiring about what types of collars to use once he outgrows the small collar.

Thanks!

Views: 229

Replies to This Discussion

I have always had bad luck with break away collars, so I recommend a regular collar. We started Bentley with a break away cat collar but it kept coming off so I went to a real collar quickly.

As for a harness, our trainer recommended to Easy Walk and it has been great. I really like the no tag collars, but I've always used dog tags!

Thanks! I've read good reviews about the Easy Walk.   Did the break a way come apart too easily for you?  

We just use a regular collar that has Lucy's tags on it. But for a harness I recommend the Walk Your Dog with Love, front clip. It's great!!
Thanks I'll look it up! :)

we started our pup out on a harness from Walmart.  Then as the pup learned about the leash, he moved into a regular collar again from Walmart.

We used the harness for all trips outside.  

On the inside, I would put on his regular collar. so he would get used to it being on his neck.  I started out with small doses of time, then worked up to long hours. I never let him sleep in the collar. 

Oh, I never thought about leaving the collar on for small doses of time.  I guess it probably will feel strange to him to have to wear something around his neck for the first time.  Thank you

I really hate dangly, jingly tags. Every time they move, or scratch an ear, or roll over in the middle of the night they make noise. Someone here recommended www.boomerangtags.com to me - they make collar tags that are like nameplates for the collar. I love them! I think they are stylish and well made and silent!

Alternately, a lot of people on Etsy are engraving the buckles of the collars for an additional fee. I like the way it looks, but I change collars fairly frequently, and with the collar tag I can just buy a regular collar and put her identification on it, instead of spending extra every time to have her info engraved on the collar itself. 

I keep their rabies tags on the keyring for my car so they are available but they don't have to wear them. Maybe I'm extra weird about the tags, but I just don't like them. 

I prefer harnesses for the car. Regular collars for leash walking. And just personal preference I like the buckles that snap together like on a backpack over the kind that buckle like a belt. 

Hi Susan, somewhere here recommended this website a while ago when I was searching for dog tags. I've ordered from them twice already since Cooper has grown. I'm very happy with their collar and especially the tag. I use Easy Walk Harness when I walk Cooper, and I like this harness a lot.

http://www.boomerangtags.com/page.php?c=collartags

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service