DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

What are y'all's thoughts on coconut oil? A few people have told me recently they give their dogs a teaspoon over their food for shiny coats and overall health. True, false? Benefits? As always, I really appreciate y'alls feedback!

Views: 404

Replies to This Discussion

I use coconut Oil myself as a superfood and also externally with amazing results and was able to replace some pharmaceutical drugs by using it in my diet.  I also give it to my dog in his food. He was having stomach issues and all tests done showed nothing was wrong. After starting a teaspoon a day in food his stomach issues stopped and its been a year now and he is so healthy. There are no trials or evidence to prove coconut Oil is beneficial to dogs so many people think its of no value.

Here is a link about the evidence based benefits for humans.

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits...

Vivian, see my answer below. Dogs utilize fatty acids much differently than humans do, and I have finally found some information from a holistic canine nutritionist on why coconut oil is not a good idea for dogs. 

I'd also add that even for humans, many of the benefits attributed to coconut oil in the article you posted apply to many, many different types of oils. 

TY Karen, I will try some of the other oils for Mojo but for me the coconut oil has be very helpful. I've been using it for the past 5 years and have a auto immune disease (Sarcoidosis) that went into remission 3 years ago. Last year I stopped the coconut oil for several months and the illness came back so I believe for me it is helping. I also use Omega fatty acid and other supplements and eat a healthy diet.

This is a very timely question, since I've been researching coconut oil for about a year now, and just posted this discussion in the Health Group: A Canine Nutritionist's View of Coconut Oil for Dogs

I hope you will read the article for the info and to verify this, but the short answer is that coconut oil provides absolutely no known health benefits for dogs at all. It's basically useless for dogs.

The Omega fatty acids that are beneficial for skin, coat and overall health are Omega 3 fatty acids, specifically DHA and EPA, which are only only found in animal proteins. Coconut oil contains no Omega 3 at all. Even those plant sources that do contain a good amount of Omega 3, like flax seed, contain a different form of Omega 3 which dogs cannot utilize very well. The fatty acids in most plants sources (including coconut) are Omega 6, and most dogs (and people) get too much, which can actually increase inflammation. The exceptions to this are evening primrose oil and borage oil, which contain GLA, a form of fatty acid that has been shown to be beneficial for skin, coat, and inflammation. 

Bottom line, give your dog fish oil and/or evening primrose oil for shiny coats, and to improve dry skin, itching and inflammation, and forget the coconut oil, at least for internal use.

Karen, someone recently told me to give coconut oil to Daisy for her coat but I am now reading all of these discussions and articles and it appears it may not be. What do you think of giving fish oil? Is it beneficial? Or if her coat and skin seem fine would it just be wasteful? She eats Acana grasslands which I know is a great food but wondering about the fish oil in addition. 

The reason for giving fish oil is that it is rich in the Omega 3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, which have certain health benefits, including anti-inflammatory properties.  Acana has an excellent Omega 3 content. There is no reason to give her extra Omega 3 fatty acids if she has no health issues and her skin and coat seem fine. There's probably no harm in it either, but I wouldn't bother without a good reason. 

Makes sense. Thank you!

I agree with Karen. A lot of anecdotal and false infrormation is written about many things. Generally if something is good for almost everything, if Dr. Oz promotes it etc. I think it is untrue. Apple Cider Vinegar is another one of these overrated cure everything products.

I use coconut oil myself for my dermatitis. I have tried many things, including prescriptions, and the only thing that has continued to work has been the coconut oil. I also love it on a bagel, but that is a taste thing for me! I am surprised by how many dog products do contain coconut oil in them, but my dogs don't get any. My doodle might have allergies so he is on a fish oil and evening primrose oil regimen.

I'm very glad that you are treating your dog's allergies with fatty acid supplements that have been proven in clinical trials to be beneficial. As we mentioned in the Health group discussion I linked above, the danger in trying products with unproven health benefits, even when they are harmless, is that it may delay treatment with products that are known to be effective. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service