DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I debated with myself before posting this discussion because the contamination of fish and plankton on the west coast and the upper Northwest by Fukushima is surrounded by such a storm of confusing controversy but I'm curious about the wild-caught Pacific fish in both Origen and Acana.  Since a lot of us use and love that food, I'm wondering if anyone has been in contact with Champion directly? I'd really like to be reassured that Champion is testing its fish food sources - ideally through a credible 3rd party.

Just to be clear, I'm not buying into the theories at either end of the spectrum: (1) everything is fine, there's no problem; less radiation than you'd get in a banana crowd or the (2) the food chain is  completely contaminated and we're all going to die crowd.  I do admit that some evidence and common sense are giving me pause before paying a premium price for these foods because I believe the food sources are safe, but I don't really know.  I just want to know, are they monitoring possible contamination levels of cesium and/or strontium-90 in their foods, which I think is all one can ask right now?   

http://sfist.com/2013/12/30/is_there_a_lot_to_fear_with_fukushi.php

Views: 415

Replies to This Discussion

I just got off the phone with Champion. They are such a pleasure to talk to. They do not test for radioactivity but Diane said that the Canadian government, with which Champion and their suppliers are in touch, do test the fish. There has been no problem. But if there were a problem Champion would switch to east coast fish. Diane also said that some of the maps for radioactivity contamination are inaccurate. I think they are a reliable company and I tend to trust what they say.

On another note, if you can show proof of purchase for twelve bags of food, even if bought online from a place like doggiefood.com, you can get a voucher from Champion for a free bag. I would have to get that locally since doggiefood.com does not allow for this, at least as of the last time I called. I love the convenience of online since the big bags are very heavy for me to put in and out of the car and to bring into the house. Having about 60 pounds of dog food arriving to my doorstep is much easier. So I will give this all some thought.

Thank you for making that call, F. Very reassuring, and it confirms once again why I recommend Champion's products so highly. :)

Thanks, F.

You are all welcome.

Thanks for contacting them, F.  I think it's reassuring that they had an answer and that they are thinking about alternatives. At least Canada is testing, whereas the US is not. Hopefully, Champion will be an advocate for testing on a more timely basis.  On another positive note, scientists from several California institutions are banding together to organize long-term monitoring of the West Coast (Kelp Watch 2014).  I remain cautious about the future of the the fish, because that plant has still not been contained, but I'm glad to hear such a positive report and plan to stay with Acana for now.

Good to hear you can get the frequent buyer discount! 

You are welcome.

Thank you for checking on this!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service