DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi, I am currently feeding my puppy wellness complete health puppy food and based on his age and weight it says to feed him 3 1/2 cups a day. I feel like that is a lot, but I mean, that's what it says and my puppy eats everything. Am I fine with that amount each day? I have attached below a picture of the feeding guidelines.

Views: 137

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, and my puppy is almost 4 months and weighs 30 lbs

The feeding guidelines on any food are just that, guidelines. Any individual dog may need more or less than the amount shown. The guidelines are based on how many calories a dog needs, which is in turn based on the dog's age, weight, energy levels, and in the case of puppies, their expected adult size. 

Since every food has a different calorie content, three and a half cups doesn't tell us anything. In order to know whether three and a half cups is an appropriate amount for your puppy, we need to know how many calories per cup the food contains. If a food contains 500 calories per cup, that would be 1750 calories. If a food contains 350 calories per cup, that amount would 1225 calories. That's a big difference.

Okay, I just looked it up. The food contains 450 calories per cup. Assuming that your puppy is very active, he needs about 1500 calories per day. 3.5 cups of food @ 450 calories/cup is 1575, which is a little bit too much, especially if he gets treats or anything else to eat besides his kibble. I'd cut back the amount a tiny little bit. 

Okay, perfect! Thank you so much!! :)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service