DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My turn to ask for advice. :)
Jasper's digestive system has gotten a little bit "off" the past few weeks. I'm chalking it up to new and different treats, and too many of them; the treats were being dispensed very liberally during the weeks leading up to his CGC test, lol. Nothing major, but I decided that probiotics would probably help.

I ordered Proviable and started it the other day. But I can't figure out the best way to give it to him. They're called "sprinkle capsules", so I assumed that you just open them and sprinkle over the dog's food. Which would work well I imagine if the food is wet. But sprinkling the contents of the capsule over kibble seems to result in most of the probiotic powder lying on the bottom of the food bowl after he's done eating. 
What am I doing wrong? Any tips? 
I really do not want to give him any canned food or peanut butter, and while I'm very good at "pilling" dogs, i.e. putting it down their throats, I hate to have to start doing that when this isn't medication and he's not sick. 

Views: 451

Replies to This Discussion

I typically put the unopened capsule in a 1/2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin (or sweet potato if I have one made) and Cannoli just eats the pill along with the pumpkin.  I just looked at the box and the one we have (from Chewy) isn't called a sprinkle capsule and just says to give one capsule daily.

Thanks, Keith. As explained above, I really don't want to have to give him the capsules as pills, "hidden" in sweet potatoes or anything else. The memory of giving the late great Jackdoodle 10 or 12 pills a day disguised with mashed sweet potatoes is still too raw for me. :)
Mine are from Chewy too. If you look on the back of the box, where there is a list of attributes, the last item is "sprinkle capsules for dogs and cats". You're supposed to able to sprinkle it over the food. I would not have purchased them otherwise. 

Just reading this, I just open and sprinkle on the top of their kibble, all three consume without question and i've never seen anything left over on the bottom?  Karen can I ask a side question, we're giving the girls a Stella and Chewys topper and Sassys starting to  vomit again? Too much protein maybe or should I be concerned?

Well, vomiting is always a concern, especially if it happens more than once. But it would never be from too much protein. It's almost impossible for a healthy dog (or a healthy person) to get "too much protein". 

Yikes okay I'll call vet.  She did this once before and we switch from Orijen/Acana to Zignatures and haven't had any issues but last couple weeks it's off and on and coincides with the time frame we started adding the Stella and Chewys toppers?  

What is important here is not the name of the brand, but the formula, i.e. what protein? Beef, lamb, turkey, ....? Switched from WHICH Orijen/Acana formulas to WHICH Zignature formula? And added WHICH S & C toppers? 
This really needs to be its own discussion, lol. 
I think the vet will not be able to tell anything, assuming it is caused by something to do with food. No testing for that. And you certainly don't want to buy Hill's Rx food, which is what will most likely be suggested. 

We're starting slow and he's going to treat as if it's a gi infection. She'll take a antacid, antibiotic and continue her apoquel which I just for out is $2.50 a pill.  I need to check costco! Of course as soon as we gave her the antacid not 2 minutes later she puked it up?  He said to stop the topper as well. Previously i thought his recommendation was the limited ingredient but he said no his was hydro something?? 

Please tell me the antibiotic is not metronidazole. 
If it is, I would not give it to her. Try just stopping the topper and giving the antacid. 
I think you might mean hydrolyzed food, which would be an Rx food, garbage. 

It was so we gave her the antacid over the weekend, stopped the topper and are continuing the apoquel.  We'll see how she does today if she starts up again we'll continue with the antacid.  My daughter mentioned she didn't feed the topper while I was gone to convention and she doesn't recall her getting sick?  So maybe she just needs to stay on a single protein?  What is your take on goats milk as a topper?

I really have no experience or much knowledge of goat's milk. I do know that it definitely does NOT match all the hype about it. 

I'm happy to report that I've been sprinkling and mixing the Proviable into his kibble, and he is now eating without a problem! 

Yeah, my guess is it's tasteless because josie is my finicky eater and she never resisted? 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service