DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I know this was mentioned and basically discarded, so I'm posting this here.  We tested all of our dogs, and all three are low.  Our golden doodle is 118 (whole blood), which is critically low.  I have always fed the foods recommend on this site.  

Views: 1194

Replies to This Discussion

Nature's Logic products would not be suitable if there is any concern about taurine deficiencies, because they do not add any vitamins, minerals, taurine, methionine or any other amino- in short, nothing. Their philosophy is that the ingredients themselves should supply these things. Well, in a perfect world maybe, but it's pretty darn close to impossible for humans to get all the nutrients they need just from their diet, without taking supplements, and we have a much greater range of choices when it comes to diet. For a dog who is eating basically one type of food day in and day out, you really do need to make sure they are getting everything they need by supplementing, either with a food that includes supplements, or by giving the supplements separately. And that's for dogs without nutritional deficiencies. For dogs who've already tested taurine deficient, it's even more important.
I'm also skeptical of the plasma, clay, and spray on liver (I'm not kidding!) in Nature's Logic foods, and for a product that claims to use whole foods, including "egg product" rather than whole eggs also makes me skeptical. 

Thank you so much for your input!!

I've been talking to my local independent pet store owner, and they can get Farmina.  He was reassured that they are increasing supplies, so their foods are back in the mix.  Do you have any thoughts on their foods versus what we have already talked about Karen? 

Also additional information.  I talked to UC Davis and they reran the original blood test on our golden doodle.  They got 181, which while low, isn't critically low.

I'm glad about the taurine levels not being as low as was previously thought. 

Farmina is a recommended brand. But I have never seen a brand of dog food with more different lines and formulas, and to be honest, so as far as being able to recommend a specific formula, I just don't have the time to wade through 50 different ingredient and nutritional analysis lists, lol. Is there a particular formula or even line that you're considering, or even a specific protein source that you want to avoid, or that you prefer? That would at least narrow it down a bit.  

This one looks good. Do you see any problems with it in terms of the ingredients? 

https://www.farmina.com/us/dog-food/n&d-ancestral-grain-canine/...

I did look at that one.  I’m going to take it to my Vet.  I know they are adding the pea fiber for binding, but numbers posted on it so far are good, and I like the grain choices if I need to have grain.  The protein is higher too.  Thank you Karen!

Karen, Dr. Dodds also released a nicely reasoned statement:

https://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/176405475391/f...

Yes, this is a wonderfully clear and well-reasoned statement, and every who is concerned about this issue should read it. Unfortunately, very few will. Easier to scan headlines, look at pictures and scroll, I guess. I truly think smart phones are dumbing down America. Nobody seems to be able to open a link and read any more. 

At any rate, anyone who is following this discussion and has a concern about taurine deficiencies really should make an effort to read this article. Use a PC if you have to. It will make you feel much less worried about what you're feeding your dog, I think. 

Am I the only one that thinks this is all very suspicious timing?  Acana is named as one of the main brands "causing" heart problems in dogs, resulting in Champion getting slammed, probably affecting their stock value ...... right at the same time as Nestle is trying to buy them out??  

No, you're not the only one. I said that from the beginning. 
I also notice that Jean Dodds is the second authority who has commented on the questionable statements made by the one nutritionist who is associated with the Big Dog Food manufacturers. 

And notice also that no actual research, study or clinical trial of any kind has yet been done to test any of these theories that "grain free" foods, legumes, or potatoes are causing anything. Nothing but data gathering, most of which is apparently in the form of self-reporting. Unlike the previous clinical controlled studies that showed a clear link between lamb and rice diets and taurine deficiencies. And as Jean Dodds says in the above link, none of the previous studies have been discounted. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service