DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi,  I know there have been many discussions on UTI 's.  My Pebbles has another one, just had her at the vet this morning.  I love this vet, a 40 minute drive each way, there are some closer to me, but I like him so much.

Anyway,he of course brings up once again the prescription dogfood, and he said he knows I'm going to argue with him on this.  I told him I refuse to give her garbage food.  I didn't have a good comeback line to tell this vet, what more do I tell him beside the food he sells is garbage.

I give Pebbles waterd down chicken broth for extra liquid, and for breakfast I top her kibble with about 3 tablespoons can food.  She eats TOTW.

The vet also showed me where Pebbles has extra skin so when she pees it's almost like a cup holding some urine back,  Has anyone heard of this?  Would he just snip the skin?  He called it cosmetic surgery. I'm sure this can be the culprit to the UTI's.  I say ouch!  Opinions?  Thank you everyone.

Views: 116

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Margaret, I've been at the vet clinic with JD all day so I'm first getting to this.

The research I have done on UTIs in dogs continues to show no connection to food, assuming the dog is getting all of their nutritional needs met with a high quality diet. I would make sure the chicken broth you are using is low sodium or sodium free, and that it does not contain onions. Otherwise, Pebble's diet sounds fine to me.

You might consider giving her cranberry extract capsules. These can be purchased in most stores that sell human vitamins and supplements, and they are usually beneficial for dogs who are prone to UTIs.

It does sound like the extra fold of skin is contributing to if not causing the UTIs. I am not familiar with this, and will try to research it when I can. I certainly think you need more information before you could make a decision about it; it sounds like it's probably minor surgery, but it also sounds like it might help.

Margaret, I just wanted to say I am sorry you and Pebbles are going through this. I hope she is not uncomfortable. I'm glad you stood up for her good food! Wishing you both well!

Sorry to hear about Pebbles. Here is a somewhat graphic article explaining the procedure. It seem like a bit more that a skin snip but it might be really helpful if in fact this is Pebble's problem. You might want to get a second opinion before going ahead.

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/ug_episioplasty_vulvoplasty.html

I'm for some reason having problems when I hit the reply button, I'll see what happens now! Anyway, thanks Karen. I buy her low sodium fat free chicken broth, but I never checked for onions, yikes, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I need to stop at store tomorrow and give her some yogurt too.
I just don't understand the connection of prescription food and UTI's, is it just to sell their crap food?

Thank you Janie. Pebbles has been acting like her normal self. I just noticed the other day where she squatted 3 times in a row, never does that unless she has UTI. Was able to catch a specimen, so here we go again.
F thank you so much! I'll read up on this. Greatly appreciate.
There's been a problem with the reply function.
I really believe that the vets mean well when they recommend the Rx food, because they really don't know anything about it. They don't learn nutrition in vet school, and what they do learn is presented by Hill's Science Diet and Purina. These companies tell them that their research shows blah blah and this food is formulated for X disease, and the vet just goes along with it because that's what he's been taught to do. But let's face it, it also does bring a lot of profit into the business. Marion Nestle reports that in some vet practices, the sale of food, flea stuff, etc accounts for more revenue than the medical end of it.
F, I'm so glad you chimed in, I was hoping you would.

Karen what you said is exactly what my vet said to me!!! 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service