DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi all,

I am wondering what you all fill your puppies Kong with. Jake is just about 5 months old and heavy into chewing but doesn't line the Kong because i haven't found anything that really appeals to him to put inside. We tried treats but he loses interest if it is "too much work." He doesn't love ppl food that much, we had no luck with peanut butter.

I want him to have more interest but I'm not sure what is safe to put in there.

He does have a grain sensitivity, he is on Canidae GR free puppy chicken formula, and Canidae Turkey and Apple training treats. He loves both of those.

TIA

Views: 277

Replies to This Discussion

I've never used a kong, and I've lived with dogs for 58 years, my own dogs for 39 years. None of them ever cared for kongs as toys, and I'm not a big fan of keeping dogs occupied with food. 

Is there a reason you want Jake to be interested in a food filled kong? Is it to occupy him while he's crated? 

When I get home from work and I'm trying to get the kids in and dinner going he is crazy. It is too hot to take him for a walk then so I was hoping he would be distracted a bit until it was later and cool enough to take him out.

Neither of my doodles like kongs period - filled or not.  If you are looking for something to pacify his need to chew, you might choose a Bully Stick.  I bought my bully sticks through Bestbullysticks.com  Now that they are older, they no longer chew on bully sticks.  Charlie is not a chewer and Beau likes an occasional antler.  Jake is a cutie.

Annabelle wasn't all that big on kongs either. When she was teething I would stuff it with plain low fat yogurt and blueberries and then freeze it. She seemed to like that. It can get messy so the kitchen or crate is the best place for that.

Sherlock and Watson both love peanut butter  in a Kong... and that is the only thing that will inspire them to play with a one.

Sawyer never liked his Kong either. Another option besides bully sticks are whimzees. I buy the extra extra extra large toothbrush ones because Sawyer is 91 lbs. and I can only find those at our local high end pet store. But they are on chewy.com and come in many different sizes and shapes, just not the biggest size.

https://www.chewy.com/whimzees-toothbrush-dental-dog/dp/127085?utm_...
Otto likes this better than the kong. I put a small natural dog biscuit inside. Just break off one end of the bone shape.
Attachments:
Someone on this board recommended this toy to me and I even find my little chihuahua gnawing on it!
What size you did you buy? The large or small?
Not sure if your dog can tolerate them with his food intolerances but I use the old mother Hubbard small biscuits and break one end off to fit in the hole. The toy is a west paw toy!

We probably have every West Paw toy they make. We have all 3 colors of the frisbee. They are the best. Annabelle is 15lbs and she gets the small sizes.

We have filled Kongs and bones with peanut butter that we freeze. They don't much like the Kongs. The best thing we find that keeps the dogs busy is to fill the StarMark treat dispensing Chewball with their kibble.  They roll it around with their nose to make the treats fall out.We also have used the Everlasting Treat Ball but you have to use the company's treat which might be a problem for some dogs. We have also given our dogs antlers to gnaw on - they last a long time.  Ned cracked a tooth on one, so we are cautious about using them.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service