DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Lulu is our 17 week old F1B. She has a shorter coat that is more kinky than curly or wavy. I get endless comments saying she doesn't look like a goldendoodle. She has very soft fur on her stomach and chest, but back is coarse. That leads to comments about not feeling like a doodle. Not to mention she sheds a good amount. More so now than she did at 11 weeks whe we brought her home. I stumbled upon this forum trying to find answers. Is my doodle a fake? Do others look like her?

Views: 505

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hi! I think Lulu is absolutely adorable! She already has the facial furnishings and looks doodley to me! Our Hamilton's mom was an F1B and dad a retriever so I am hoping he gets the furnishings (not looking like it) but I understand feeling upset having to explain that she is a doodle to everyone, as I have to do that with our Hamilton. I don't think you'll have any problems in the future though as she is already starting showing lots of signs of doodle-ness! She's adorable! Unfortunately shedding will happen but nothing major. Here's our guy at 17 weeks- (Birthday is April 26- I imagine Lulu is around there?) 

She's not a "fake", and a lot of doodles look like her. I would ignore these ignorant comments from others. They clearly don't know anything about doodles, including the fact that they are all different, with different kinds of coats and appearances.

Personally, I think Lulu is adorable. I prefer the shaggy look to the curly look. If you're going to have a dog who looks like a Poodle, why wouldn't you just get a Poodle, lol? 

Lulu is going to get more "doodle-y" looking as she gets older. But she probably is always going to shed. 

Ned represents that remark, Karen. Hahahaha.  Ashley, people think Ned is a poodle more often than not.  It is the luck of the draw.  My favorite doodle look is the scruffy one, like yours is developing. Here are my three doodles - notice how different each one is. Because doodles are mutts, they all look different which is the exciting part.

Teddy is the blonde version of Hamilton! SO cute! 

Here's a picture of my Jack. Looks pretty "doodle-y", doesn't he? And yet, I have had people tell me "He can't be a Labradoodle, they don't shed." LOL!  I think your Lulu will have this type of coat and appearance, even though she is a GD and Jack is an LD. Straighter shaggier coat, he does shed, yet nobody would ever mistake him for a retriever, lol. And I personally think he is the cutest dog on the planet. :)

I think she's beautiful and looks like a doodle. I have a similar issue with my Hank. People are always asking if he's an English Springer Spaniel...he's not. My Hank is getting his adult coat and I'm hoping will Doodle-out soon. He's got a wavy coat on his back and eventually will have a labradoodle look. Either way, he's beautiful too just like your Lulu is beautiful.
Attachments:

OMG, Coco's commentary actually really made me laugh out loud.  SO TRUE!  Most of us in this forum have been there, experiencing the the pleasure of totally superficial conversation with all the "dog experts" in the world.  I've realized it almost doesn't matter what topic, people have just become that emboldened! & LuLu is precious.  That face is to die for & what a beautiful coat! I love the waves...My darling angel is clearly not what one might typically perceive as a doodle...including myself.  Concerned I'd been duped, we had his DNA done, which turned out that he was a multi gen & technically more Poodle than Lab.  To this day, when asked, which we commonly are because people can't ever figure out what he is, & we tell our story, we are continually questioned & doubted.  One man went so far as to say, "Well, I don't know how reliable those tests are." - Gotta love it! 

Thank you everyone for the nice words.  Our  family does love her to pieces.  It just makes you doubt the look of your dog with so many negative words from strangers and comparisons to other doodles in the family.  At what point do they usually doodle-out? I ask because her face and top of her head have grown some crazy hairs, but the rest of her body and tail is still the same length as when we got her 6 weeks ago. 

My puppy is 7.5months and looks like he's starting to get longer fur. I've heard it can take up to 2 years to change completely.

Your doodle is 100% doodle.  It is marketing hype that doodles get the non-shedding coat of a poodle and the personality of a retriever.  She looks exactly like a goldendoodle  we fostered.  She was lightly shedding.  I will post two photos of her - as a puppy then as an adult.

Hi! Lulu is beautiful!! I think most people, me included until I had Nala, have that teddy bear look as being a goldendoodle. When people tell you she doesn't look like a golden doodle, I don't think they mean it in a negative way. Our Nala is an F1 b mini goldendoodle who looks like a mini retriever. She is the most intuitive, intelligent, loving dog. I could go on and on. Lol. We love her so very much. And we have become so proud of her unique look. oh. And she sheds too. And we don't mind one bit ;)
Attaching a picture of my girl
Best of luck,
Christine
Attachments:

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service