DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Fergie is my first doodle and we all love her to death but she needs a playmate. She's a wonderful very calm dog. We go for a 3 mile walk everymorning. She runs and plays on the county trail and loves it. The rest of the day she pretty much just lays around. She needs a playmate. My husband doesn't think so. Any hints on convincing him.

Views: 159

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have two dogs, but it was my husband that convinced me. It has worked out great. Our older dog, Summer really came a live when we go Giada. I said I wished I had done it years ago.

GL:)
It took me a while to convince my husband too. Now, the newest doodle Kona gives him more kisses than she does me and he loves her to death :)

Besides loving dogs, I felt it would be so great to have two dogs that we could take everywhere with us and be able to play amongst themselves. It has worked out just like that too! When we hike or go to the beach or the dog park is empty, no worries, they have each other. You might want to try that route? Have him watch a couple of the videos on my page and others on the video page so he can see how much fun they have playing together. We still do obedience and have one on one time with each dog, but they are company for each other when we are out of the house too. I don't think I could go back to having only one now that I have had two. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Whenever you find a way to convince your DH, you let me know how you did it. My is the same way. He just keep telling me that ONE is enough. I did see a doodle on IDOGRR and just fell in love with her. She was close to us and I just kept working on him until he finally said OK. When I called about her, they had just found a home for her the very day before in Kentucky. What a bummer. I am back to square one.
Two doodles become great buddies (if the second one is introduced young) and much fun to watch play. I know I prefer not to live alone, and I suspect doodles feel the same way.
Here's what I did: I contacted breeders, picked one I liked, talked to her, put my name down for a particular a puppy and simply told my husband that we'd be getting a visit from breeder on Friday. Breeder came with cute 8 week old puppy, and told us we could have him on loan for a week, and then return him if things didn't work out. Well, of course, the whole family, including my husband, fell heads over heel in love with the new little guy, and it was never an option to not keep him ;) I admit this was somewhat of a setup and a bit sneaky, but there was no other way to convince husband, I swear!!
Here's another idea that my friend used: she had her vet confirm that it would be a good thing for her dog to get a buddy to avoid boredom and destructive home-alone behavior...

She also found an article on dogs thriving on living in packs (I think it might have been a Cesar Millan piece); since her hubby is very fact-oriented and listens to experts (ie, not her!), he finally agreed to dog #2 because the vet & article both said so.
Hi. My son got a doodle 2 yrs. ago; I got a mini doodle 1 yr. ago. My son's dog spends almost every day at my house till evening. The two dogs are great company for each other; they're like Mutt and Jeff. I take them for walks on wooded trails around town, to the beach (off-season) and I have a huge yard with invisible fencing. When one of the dogs isn't around the other one does seem at loose ends and looks to me more for attention. I think two dogs, like two children, can often be easier than just one (three is another situation entirely!).
I agree with that - three is never good. "Two's company - Three's a crowd"
We have 2 labradoodles, one is ours and the other is a friend's who is serving in Iraq. They are the best of friends, play continually, share everything including food and toys. Here's the deal though, when Max came to stay they were both so happy to have each other that Baxter, our doodle, became less of our dog and more of Max's playmate. It was like he didn't need me any more and truthfully it kind of hurt my feelings. However we both work and I know he is happy to have company all day and not be left all alone, I know he is going to miss Max when he goes back home in December. In fact we're already talking about getting another. There are pros and cons to having two.
The best thing we did for Payton(ND) was to bring Jordan home. The 1st week was scary but after that they are best of friends. We have never had a fight, they play,sleep,everything together.
I say just bring one home, really how mad could he be at you ;)
He will see doodle and fall in love.
Two dogs are easier than one. They entertain each other, when you can't. I feel strongly that everyone should have two dogs if they possibly can. Dogs are social animals, unlike cats. Funnily enough many years ago an elderly man at the Rose Bowl convinced my husband of this when I had not been able to do so. The man had talked to us and out two very young children and our single Malmute Shepherd mix for quite a while. He looked up at my husband and said, you know you need to get this guy a companion, you have your wife, your children have each other, but he doesn't have anyone like him. I know you would not want to live your whole life in a family of four dogs with no otherhumans - no matter how loving and nice the dogs were. It convinced my husband. We went home and began looking that night for a Siberian Husky in the newspaper (no internet, no computers except at JPL and the universities!)We have had two dogs ever since and never regretted it.
We learned that dogs need other dogs when our old shephard died leaving the standard poodle alone. He had never spent a day alone in his life and he was devastated. We all were away at school or work and he cried until he lost his voice and then became depressed. I had to get him a puppy and that was when we discovered doodles. Five years ago we got Hondo (labradoodle) and when the standard was at the end of his life we got Groucho Too (goldendoodle). They play together all the time and are best of friends. We can't imagine one dog now. Another benefit - the older dog trains the puppy for you.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service