DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

How is your Doodle at taking tablets. Rusty has been on Cortisone tabels for some time, We have been able to reduce the dose from 3 every second day to 1 1/2 three times a week. At first it was a struggle to get him to take them but someone told us to put them on the back of his tongue close his mouth and then stroke his throat till he licked his lip indicating that he had swallowed this has worked and now we have no trouble. hopefully we will soon reduce him to 1 tablet twice a week

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What you describe is exactly how I give my dogs pills. Hope Rusty is able to get down to one tablet twice a week soon.
I stuff my dogs pills down their throat, and give them a treat immediately thereafter. You'll need to wash your hands afterwards, but it works!
Some of Halas' training treats are soft, so I just kind of stick the pill to that and then hand the treat to him. I'm always worried he'll spit it out, and I'll find it stuck to his beard later, but that hasn't happened yet.
If you don't mind spending some $$$, the sure-fire way to get a dog to actually beg for his pills is to use Greenies "Pill Pockets"...dogs love them! At one point, Jack was on 8-9 different tablets & capsules per day, and the "Pill Pockets" were the only thing that worked. People advised me to use liver sausage, peanut butter, cream cheese, velveeta, etc., and none of those did the trick. Plus the Pill Pockets smell good and there is no mess or hassle. But they're pricey. They come in bags of 30, 2 sizes and 2 flavors, and run about 9-10 dollars a bag.
That is what I was going to say.:) I love the Greenies pill pockets. Payton takes pills often and he had wised up to pills in cheese,meat, p.butter. He would spit them out.
With the Greenies he thinks they are treats. Works every time.
Rosco just eats anything so he's easy...just let him see im holding something small...treat size and he'll gobbble it up.

cass requires the pill plunger.
I find Kali takes them best when smooshed into a little bit of cheese. I even get her to do a trick or two so she thinks it's just another treat.
I take 3 pieces of turkey, ham, cheese, etc. I then put the pill in the 2nd piece. You give the dog an empty piece, the pill piece and follow up with the third piece. They've eaten all three before they realize that they took any pills.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service