DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My groomer chastised me today (Looking for grooming tips and sympathy)

I comb Sidiqi just about every day. Even so, he's been getting a ton of matts. I've been going after them with a scissors when necessary, and really trying to keep on top of things. Then, on a review recommendation here, I bought some Cowboy Magic detangler yesterday and spent two hours trying to get him as matt-free as possible so that his visit to the groomer would be less traumatic. I couldn't believe the amount of hair I pulled out!

So today I brought him to the groomer. When I called toward the end of the day to find out when we could pick him up, the groomer read me the riot act. She even said that if I wasn't going to do a better job of keeping him matt-free, she didn't want me bringing him to her anymore. (I don't think she realized that I had been working on him as much as I had. I think she felt I was neglecting him.) My poor baby had a HORRIBLE day today. (He was still all tail-wagging and face-licking when I picked him up.)

I've come to realize that the comb I was using didn't get all the way down to his skin. I bought a pin brush today. Any other suggestions? Has anyone else been reamed by your groomer?

Views: 422

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh YES...we sure have. These doodles are impossible to keep mat free. The pin brush is fine, but you must LINE BRUSH. Have your goomer explain to you how she wants you to brush your dog.
Also, then, follow with the comb. And, you may want to keep your baby's hair a bit shorter eventhough I'm sure all us doodle lovers prefer the 'shaggy' teddy bear look.
I had a huge surprise the first time Vegas got his hair cut last June. See pics attached...I was determined this wouldn't happen again. So, that meant, all winter long, we had grooming visits every 5 wks (at 60+ bucks a crack). Now, he has a teddy bear cut, with modifications and we have our 3rd groomer who finally understands him and me and what we want.
Attachments:
I've never been reamed by my groomer. I would look at getting a new one. Not Nice, Not good for word of mouth business. There are tactful ways to get your point across. Was this your 1st time there?
Did you tell your groomer it was worse? I had a cat who hated being brushed I would take him to the groomer so matted. It was nasty to pet him.They never said a word to me about it.
I do have a question for you what are you feeding your doodle? Maybe the matts are a food allergy?
Does he smell like corn chips? Payton has a flea allergy and before when I did not use Frontline on him year round he would smell like corn chips. My Vet said that's one of the ways you know if there is a skin allergy.
Jenel, have you seen Ann's video of how she grooms Sully? I posted it in one of my blogs on here. I *think* it goes over line brushing mentioned below.
Here is the link to the video since my blog ONLY has a link...I didn't write anything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szIij_zknNs
I gave up on trying to keep my girls long and all the matts. We bought Andis clippers and will be grooming them ourselves. Ann's videos are great, make sure you take a look at them.

Jan and the girls
Specializing in pet portraits
http://www.thefineartcafe.com
Hi Jenel!

I can't add too much but to let you know you are not alone! Since our doodle is about a year older than Sidiqui I've been through the same "drill". These dogs can matt in the darnedest places (even between the toes!) and even when it seems I've brushed for hours and hours it's like the dog is one big matt waiting to happen. I noticed this more in the spring. It's not even that much fur causing the problem but the fine fluff sticks down in the coat and bingo - a matt.

Our groomer does not say a thing BUT we have a shock when we pick up a white rat instead of the cute the dog we took in. GRRRRRR! Last time I knew it was time for a summer cut because of the matts waiting to happen and I just asked her to please not get him down to pink skin! It was pretty close but I did not see pink!

I think we just need to keep these guys brushed and unless they have the straighter coat keep them clipped on the shorter side.

I use a wide variety of tools - I use a rake with teeth that pivot when the fur is longer and undercoat is turning loose (spring), a pin brush and the green Les Pooches brush. For me combs don't work too well. Line brushing is the best but it does take time. It's easier to do with shorter coats.

Oh well - we have lots of company I think! But it's all worth it!
Someone on the Zoo just posted that they LOVE the Chris Christensen Staggered Tooth Buttercomb for getting out matts--see it on http://www.chrissystems.com/
I got a dematting comb (I think it's by Paws Brothers) at a Show store....it works GREAT for the mats and doesn't hurt my puppy. But it is a 'coat breaker' so it's best to have your groomer use it. I'm ok with 'breaking the coat' since we're not showing our pet.
Also, my groomer suggested different shampoo and especially conditioner that would make the hair mat less...we now use Bark2Basics Sensi-Skin Hypo-Allergenic Shampoo and D-Matt All Coat Conditioner w/ Anti-Stat.
It seems when our doodle goes in the water, his fur turns to FELT! So, the groomer suggested always bathing him after swimming and brushing him out fully. She even recommended I buy a small pro blow dryer to get it blown out and dry right to the rooms while brushing.
I have not done this...we live in an exceptionally dry climate and when his fur/hair drys naturally it is curly and I prefer this look. So, I brush him once he's dry and within one day it seems to 'cord' back up again. We love that look!
We're happy with him at the 1 inch now and I can't believe I'm saying that...the 1 hour plus a day of brushing was getting pretty hard on both of us!
use a curved slicker brush and getting your doodle trimmed down before coat 2 to 2.5 in long

OH i'd get a new groomer......it's part of their job and do they do the same to poodle owners all the time? ; )

my groomer didn't ream me out one bit, i had called my regular groomer at 1st and they said i'd have to wait 5 weeks for an appt
Used my breeder's groomer that took Peanut in assap and could see how I had tried getting out the matts. I've been advised on how long her coat can grow and approx time intervals to getting her groomed in the future. SO i'd go with a groomer who doesn't ream you out and works WITH you.
besides you are paying for a service for your dog.......NOT LIP Service :)
Try to teach him to lay down on his side when you COMB him and do it in layers focus on the underarms and behind the ear and the ear as long as he doesn't shed he will mat up sometimes overnight Good Luck
It is like little elfs come in the night and tie knots in the doodles hair! One minute thier coat is great and long and beautiful and the next moment you know you are gonna be embarrased at the groomer because of the mats. We both work full time and are busy so we get a little lax on getting him to the groomer in time and by the time we go, it has to go shorter than I really like. I have a dematting conditioner spray I use on him when I brush him and it smells nice, we use a slicker brush but I do think I need to get a pin brush for when it gets a little longer.. his hair is soooo thick!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service