DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So my puppy is 10 weeks old.You suppose to socialize your puppy early with other dogs, but you can't because of Parvo.
When is it a good idea to start meeting other dogs,it's like everybody tells you something different.Thanks.

Views: 184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is an excellent question and one to which you may get different answers from different people.

I was super paranoid about Parvo and did the following things:
-- Did NOT let his feet touch ground outside of my house/yard. Not even at the vets. I held all 30 lbs of him at 12 weeks and we weighed in together :-O
-- "quarantined" Thule and Cass from anywhere except my house and Clark's house (we were dating then) for about a month before and after Rosco's arrival.

I would NOT go that far again. However, I would suggest you talk to your vet. Find out when the last case of parvo happened in your town and if it is "going around' lately. Parvo stays in the ground for about a year so it's hard to get rid of (depends on all sorts of factors and some articles I've read have said longer than a year...so?).

If your area is pretty low for parvo I wouldn't be too paranoid but simply avoid taking puppy to high traffic areas (where lots of other dogs might go and pee/poop).

I like Ian Dunbar's plan to have puppy meet 100 different people between the ages of 8-12 weeks (prime social developmental age). Have parties and invite friends and have them leave their shoes outside and wash their hands before playing with puppy. If you have friends with safe, polite, vaccinated dogs...then that is probably a safe bet for socialization for those dogs to come to YOUR home and play in the backyard.

There's always a risk and if I were to think about every single place each of my shoes has touched my brain would explode. Best to talk to your vet and see what your local risk is and then make a judgment that seems best for you.
Thank you very much.Right now I just let him have fun running around in the yard.
There is probably always a risk, even in your yard.But the poor puppy needs some outside time.
I sure hope the vet wipes the table each time.
I felt, I was the only paranoid person,good to know I'm not.
My Vet told me that Parvo is a regional disease and here in Western Washington it is not that common, so I started puppy class at 10 weeks. Yes, she was the youngest in the class. I did her puppy training at Petsmart and the my Vet said they mop they floors every night and all the other dogs in class were also vaccinated. I did carry her in and out of class. I did not let her drink the group water also.
He did tell me no dog parks, no parks in general, and not take her to Eastern WA or Oregon till she had all her shots.
I did not take Holly out in public until she finished her full regimen of shots. However, we have a big yard - about an acre which gave her plenty of room to romp. She has four Maltese friends at home and our daughter brought her lab over several times and we visited our daughter's home.
Ditto on that Adina...! You do not want your puppy exposed to Parvo..it's a nasty disease...!
Hello,
again thank you for all your good advice.So helpful:)

Marion
for me none of my doodles were allowed to go out in public and i didn't let anyone else with dogs of any age in my house or yard till AFTER 16 weeks of age and all vaccinations were done---So i wait till they're 5mos old.

I also did NOT bring them to training classes either before 6mos of age but everyone has different schools of thought on this one. I do OB training at home till then.

then again maybe i am just overprotective mom? ; )

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service