DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I picked up a 12 week old puppy nov 1, 2013.  Ever since we got her she has had diarrhea.  Has had normal fecal, then positive test for Giardia.  Was given profolatci treatment of flaygl, then  full dose.  Breeder took back and had her vet treat the dog with baytril.  dog comes home, fine for a handful of days and then back with diarrhea with bright red blood.  I have spent a ton of money on multiple vet bills, rx food, etc....  I am at my wits end.  She is now back at the breeders vet being treated with a sulfa drug.  Still no answers.  I am picking her up from the vet one hour away and do not know what to do.  I only found this site after doing much research and found a person who I believe had the same experience with the same breeder.  I unfortunately had already given the dog to the breeder to hopefully help me.  I have no idea what kind of bill I am going to face tomorrow after the dog being at the vet for one week.  Still have no answers as to why the dog is having bloody diarrhea. 

The dog is gaining weight, eating and drinking normal no vomiting.  Can anyone please who has had this experience please help me.

Thank you,

Rebecc

Views: 480

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, it sounds like you've had your hands full with puppy health problems. The breeder should be picking up the tab on all the vet bills. Look your sales contract over and see if there's a health guarantee of any kind. If there is no health guarantee in your contract, and you're paying all the vet bills, then I'm real curious as to why you're taking the pup to the breeder's vet. Sorry I can't help you with what the problem may be with your puppy. I hope you find answers soon.

My contract specifics no coverage for giardia and no reimbursment without a specific diagnosis. Red blood In Stool cannot be normal. I took her to the breeders vet at the breeders urging. My vet was out of town, I trusted this lady. This is the second time the dog has been back and treated by the breeder vet , plus she worked there. I wanted continuity of care as to not rack up more bills duplicate testing . It was not until I stumbled on this site that I believe that there is a lady on here, Lindsey and cocoa that used the same breeder about a year ago. It was the same exact situation except she was smart enough to not let the breeder take the dog to be treated. She was smart !!!!

I am new to this site and groups in general . If anyone has dealt with a breeder in ohio named Maggie please contact me . All I want is my dog to be healthy and to stop having diahrea without blood.

Heading out in the snow to drive almost two hours to get her .

Thank you so much ,

Rebecca
Thanks for the heads up. I only found this site by googling my breeder name and diarrhea. Feels like an oxymoron. Not trying to gain compensation ruin reputation only trying to find the root cause and there are other people here that have wasted big money due to this breeder . Did not mention her business name . I'm sorry a spade is a spade and u am only trying to spare my
Puppy from more unnecessary medication and searching for the needle in the hat stack. Doing this because I CARE
Oh my, so sorry you have to go through this. We experienced tons of stomach isssues and our pup never tested positive for anything. Our Oliver just has a super sensitive stomach... stress, ANY change in food/treats, will get him to have diarrhea and/or vomit for an extended amount of time. After much research and questioning, we determined that giving probiotics along with meals, as well as being very strict about treats and having to tell anyone around him about his issues, has helped to control the problem. Good luck.

I am so sorry you are going through all this. If you do a search by Giardia, you will see the many discussions we have had on this topic. Here is a great one that will help you with what to do.

http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/giardia

I am no expert, but it has been discussed so many times, I think I can sum up the important things for you to do. These comments are taken from other discussions. We also had one member who followed her dog around with a paper plate, caught the poop, and threw it away, to avoid contaminating the yard.

I hate to tell you this, but giardia cysts will survive just about anything, and spraying with plain water will disperse the cysts over a larger area. The only way to disinfect the yard and keep your puppy from getting reinfected is to spray any area where the poop has made contact with a 10% bleach solution (1 part bleach, 9 parts water). And, yes, it will kill your grass. Use rubber gloves if there's any chance you may come into contact with the poop, because giardia is zoonotic.

I have found Panacur to be the most effective at treating giardia. 

The "Elisa" part is the name of the test.

I agree that Fortiflora from the vet is a lousy probiotic, but I would definitely give the puppy plain, unflavored, fat-free yogurt to help maintain some good flors in the gut. One tablespoon teice a day, spearated from the meds by at least two hours either way.

Both of these comments have been made by our own Karen (and Jackdoodle) and I would trust her with my dogs about any issue.
I find it very suspicious that your breeder puts in her contract about Giardia. Seems this may be a problem with her puppies.
I would stop going to her vet and go back to your vet and insist on Panacur.  It seems there is no benefit to you to go to her vet since you are paying the bills. Good luck. I hope this is soon a distant memory so you can begin to enjoy your wonderful puppy.

I totally agree, Laurie.  Having gone through two rounds of giardia with my guys.  I would stay away from the Breeder's vet....go to your own Vet.  This dog should have been on Panacur.  Also you will absolutely need to control where the dog goes to potty, so she will need to be leashed and and Laurie saya you will need to clean the area with a bleach and water solution.  What are you feeding now.....RX food?  Do you have Pet Insurance?

Also, I would stop switching foods until this clears up. I hope Karen chimes in about the bloody diarrhea.

You pretty much covered it, kid. :)

(shows to go Karen, you have taught your readers well! ) 

Good luck Rebecca-sorry you and your pup are going through this and hope it is resolved soon.  

I learned it from the best :)

We got Ruby in July. She was 3 months old. I went thru a very similar situation. She did test positive for Giardia and a worm. Had her on Panacure and an antibiotic. Much better just after 1 day. Was fine until about 4-5 days after she was done with the meds. Tested again, negative. But vet put her back on antibiotic. Again, fine after 1 day until the medication ran out.
We did this for 4 rounds.
All the while my vet was wanting to put Ruby on Prescription ID can and dry food. I kept insisting no- just from what others said about the food.
Finally at my wits end I agreed. Ruby has not had one loose stool since her first meal! No table scraps, no treats except for the ID treats. Did try a greenie once, the next morning diarrhea.
You may need to bring your pup to a new vet. Just to get another perspective and diagnosis.
And what you are telling me is exactly what everyone on this board says not to do with the good. That the Rx food is garbage ! As soon as I get home she is going to my vet and will reasses my plan. I first need to see what this vet has given her . Thanks

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service