DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

First - I'm not asking for info or references for a specific breeder.

Let me explain -

We're not new to doodles, per se.  We haven't owned one, but have been following threads and talking to breeders and owners and trying to educate ourselves about the breed and breeders for over a year.  We lost our family dog (a wonderful golden) of 11 years to cancer a bit over a year ago - and it was truly one of the most difficult things we have been through.  We knew we would want another dog as part of our family - but we needed time to heal. 

We would like to think that we have been dilligent in selecting breeders to talk to, and based on talking with the breeders and communicating with them, chose wisely in the ones we continue to maintain a relationship with until we felt as a family we were ready to have another dog. 

Now that time has come, we have expanded some of our breeder search as the specific size and color we prefer has not been common, and the few breeders we have built a relationship won't be including those in their breeding program until next spring/summer - if at all.

As we expanded our search, we found what appeared to be a great candidate breeder.  We found good references/referral information on the web.  We believe we found current owners actively supporting the breeder on forums.  The information researched included details on the appropriate health testing, warranty/contract, etc.

The issue that has raised concern is that I have been unable to actually talk to this breeder.  I emailed, I filled out their online form, and left voice mail messages - all went unanswered for a few days.  I left a follow up voice mail communicating that perhaps there had been a technical issue with their web site - and later that day, had 2 emails back and a voice mail - all inviting me to look up info on their site, as well as call her back to discuss my questions/interests. 

So I did - to only get voice mail.  And despite trying to communicate a sense of urgency of needing to talk with them, I have not heard back (I left the voice mail and additional email yesterday).

I fully understand that we have lots of activities and commitments we are trying to balance - that despite the best of intentions, some times things just come up - but I guess I have a slighly less acceptance to that when it somes to business and financial dealings (in that, when there is money, or the potential to have money invovled, I have slightly different expectations, regardless of the amount).

In comparison, another breeder, that might have an alternate for us to consider (depending on current picks, etc.) has been in almost immediate communication with every email or call we have made - to both emails first thing in the morning, as well as in the late evening.  Great customer service in that regards - but unfortunately, the puppies aren't our first choice in size/color, close...but not our first choice.

Here's the request for advice - Am I reading too much into the delay/lack of communication/response?  Is this a warning sign regarding the involement of this breeder with thier adoption families (and potential support or issue resolution)?

Thank you!  Not hearing back is driving me crazy...and I don't know if I should just give up and move on to working with a different breeder or not.  We want to do as much screening up front as we can, before a visit - as once we see puppies, we know emotionally it will be hard to walk away without one....

Views: 823

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

me too!

Jeanette - I hope you'll keep us up to date on your "to-be" puppy!   Finding the right puppy is an adventure filled with sweet anticipation!

Good sign!

I hope that you don't have any problems with your puppy, but it is always nice to know that you can reach out to your breeder if you do have some problem and I'm not sure you would get that from the breeder in question.  I scanned through everyone's posts very quickly so forgive me if this is a repeat, but keep in mind that the color of a dog can change.  According to the info Ollie's former owner gave me, he was was red puppy but he is now a light cream color with a bit of darker coloring on his ears, muzzle, and legs.  So basically, I guess, that what you see is not always what you end up with.  :)

I am so sorry for your loss of your golden.  It was my friends golden that brought me to doodles :-)

When I started looking for the "perfect" goldendoodle 3 1/2 - 4 years ago I was CLUELESS, and I mean that literally.  My parents had dogs when I was growing up (a spoiled poodle and a mean schnauzer that my mom cooked chicken livers for every night).  I started online and was overwhelmed, the only thing I knew for sure is that I would absolutely not have a puppy shipped to me on a flight (I have been a corporate travel agent for 20+ years and know to much about the airlines to trust any of them with a puppy).  That at least narrowed my search to driving distance.  After making my short list, I contacted probably 8 breeders, most of them did respond, a lot of "check my website" or "you need to make a deposit", not really into answering my million questions.  I finally found, in my biased opinion, the perfect breeder of all breeders.  I hadn't even found DK at this point so it was by the grace of God that she did health testing and was incredibly ethical.  I asked her questions for weeks and she answered every single one of them quickly and patiently.  Never did she pressure me to put a deposit down.  I put a deposit on Hunter the week after she was born and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.  In the end I think you need to go with your gut, I sense that your gut is telling you the lack of response might not be for you.  Maybe it is a sign that there is another breeder that has the doodle that was meant for you........  :-)  

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service