DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

It was a dark and rainy night...and I wanted to get Skadi and Elli out somewhere to enjoy some exercise.  I took them over to PetSmart, where I have taken Skadi  dozens of times, and since we have gotten Elli, I've enjoyed showing her around petsmart.  We had a great walk around the store sniffing all the treats and critters.  Many folks stop us and gab and admire the doods.  One of PetSmarts trainers was also visiting with us a little.  I never took classes with this trainer, but she knew Skadi who has taken many of the training classes in this store.  We bought some treats and a couple collars and went up to the check out.  The trainer was also the checkout person.  Now Skadi knows the routine...you pay for your treasures and the check out lady gives you a treat.  And Skadi sits pretty for the treat.  However, Elli, who is our Rescue off Craigslist and has been with us 2 years now does not know the routine.  I try my very best to have my girls behave, but Elli got excited and jumped up with her paws on the checkout ...not on a person, but on the ledge of the check out counter.  Before I could correct her, the trainer/check-out socked her in the chest...and yes she got down quickly.

Now I realize Elli has probably suffered worse in her 8 years because we are probably her 3rd home and I know she is "rambunctious".

I just for the life of me cannot understand what right that "trainer" had to punch my girl in the chest.  Her behavior was not endangering anyone.  

Am I over reacting?  I can't stop thinking about this.  

Views: 828

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You aren't overreacting. If the dog has been abused previously then even that small amount of aggression could have started a spiral. 

I'm appalled this happened. A trainer should never strike your dog even in a training class. The trainer should teach you how to properly correct your dog. If you give her/him permission to correct your dog that's another story. But randomly punching your dog in the chest is not acceptable. I would definitely file a formal complaint. 

Nope nope. Not all right. At all.
No trainer worth anything would do that. Step into her space, yes. Punch her in the chest, no. File complaint. They should be used to dogs who are learning good behavior and don't have it down yet.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service