DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

By rights, this should go in the Health and Medical Issues Group, if anywhere. I hate posting a discussion in the general forum about sicknesses and problems, and I'm not looking for advice, but the response to my posts in the Food Group, the PMs and requests for updates from our friends here on DK has been so overwhelming, I thought I would just do it this way. Blog approval takes too long, and I'm really exhausted both physically and mentally. If there is one good thing that has come out of JD's illness, it's that I am blown away by the genuine caring and concern that our friends here have for him. Moved to tears, in fact.

Anyway, in a nutshell, JD has been ill for almost three weeks now. Started with lack of appetite, progressed to his not being able to keep his food down after his appetite returned. No fever, no diarrhea, no behavioral changes.

He does not ever, ever eat anything he shouldn't, and he is never unsupervised for one minute.

Food is not moving normally through his digestive tract, regardless of what kind, including homecooked and dehydrated raw. The food comes back up looking pretty much the way it did when it went in, even after more than 4 hours. No retching or heaving, either. Drinking water can set it off. He can hold down plain cooked poultry or beef with rice as long as he gets very small amounts at a time. THIS IS NOT A FOOD ISSUE.

He has lost over 5% of his body weight in the past two weeks.

He is not (and has never been) lethargic, his behavior is normal, he wants to play, and his appetite is ravenous.

We've been to the vet 4 times in the past two weeks, costs are past $1800. Numerous X-rays have been done, full blood chemistry panels, stool specimens, an ultrasound, and now a barium swallow. The latter is the only thing that showed anything, and the Xrays have been sent out to the radiologist for opinions on what it might be and whether an endoscopy is next on the list.  

We have ruled out pancreatitis, parasites, infections or viruses, liver issues, kidney issues, any kind of obstruction or blockage, and (ThankYouGod) megaesophagus.  

It does appear that the problem is with the upper part of the GI tract, probably esophageal, and the food is not moving through the digestive tract as rapidly as it should, again regardless of what kind or form we try. 

(The Xrays also showed that JD has osteoarthritis in his lower lumbar spine. This of course has nothing to do with the digestive issues, it's just more unhappy news I didn't need right now.)

JD is on three different meds now to help him keep the food down and prevent further irritation, and is to be fed 1 cup of cooked meat/chicken and rice 4x/day, while we wait for more answers.

Anyway, that's where we're at right now. Again, this is just an update to our friends who have expressed concern, we are doing everything we can. From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank every single person who has asked about him, both privately and publicly, because it's honestly what's helping us get through this. Hugs to you all.

Views: 4174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, Susan.

So sorry to hear that JD is not well.   Cooper and I are sending our best wishes and thoughts your way!  

Thanks, Martha!

Sorry to hear that JD's not feeling well. Hope he's on the road to recovery now. My thoughts are with you two. Keep us updated.

Thank you, Jackie.

Karen, how was yours and JD's night?

Sending prayers to JD, and Pebbles is sending him a big smooch.    I know how exhausting, overwhelmed, and scarey it is when our furbabies are sick.  Your in my thoughts.

Thanks, Margaret!

Sue, he's doing okay. He's unhappy with the small amounts of food, and always looks for more, but it's staying down. He's pretty confused as to why he doesn't get his usual treats or chews any more, why he gets fed at strange times, (he's started just looking for food all the time, which I hate. He used to know to expect his meals at breakfast & dinner and that was it), and he hates the meds. Of course the medications are the biggest problem. I really have to sit down and make a schedule. The one PITA med that has to be mixed also has to be given either one hour before or two hours after eating, three times a day, and with four feedings, it's tricky. I think we may be able to move to three feedings a day tomorrow, after we see the vet.

Thanks for your continued concern & support, it really helps me feel less stress!

Despite the tribulations it sounds like real progress is being made, hooray!

Thanks, F. :)

Between the frequent feedings and the med schedule you will need to make an Excel Spreadsheet to keep up! Good luck with all of this, Karen! Thinking of you all day long and hoping our dear Jack feels well soon.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service