DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Okay, so here's my puzzle: what generation is our new puppy, Charlotte?

Her mom was an F1b (f1 goldendoodle mom X Poodle dad)

Her dad was a F1? because he had a f1 goldendoodle mom and golden retriever dad (what is that even called?)

She ends up being 50/50 golden/poodle but what generation would that be???

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Technically, her dad is an F1B also, because an F1B is a doodle bred back to one of the parent breeds; that's what the B stands for- "backcross". It isn't normally done by breeding back to a retriever, because that increases the lielihood that the dog will shed. Breeding back to a poodle decreases the chances of shedding, because on one side, the poodle side, there are no genes at all for shedding hair, which is the whole point of breeding F1Bs and the reason they are considered the least likely of all the generations to shed.
Genetically, she's the same as an F1. But I'm sure someone has made up some other name for this kind of combination.
She's adorable and she's yours. Does it really matter what "generation" that would be?
Well... technically she's a F3 because F1b X F1b = F3. But like Karen said Her dad is a "backwards" F1b. (I'm not saying it's bad, just saying that's not the way it's normally done.)
Goldendoodle breeders have a different grading scheme than Labradoodle breeders, so I'm not really sure what your girl would be considered. But I believe you could call her an F2 and be accurate as far as the Golden/Poodle balance in her genes.
I say, Get out the Marble in the Jar Genetic Lesson.
Ha!
Oh boy... you guys just gave me flashbacks to my college bio class! LOL Too much criss-crossing for me! I'm just so glad she Criss-crossed into your life!
I agree about it not mattering....I'm not sure the importance of the f1, f2, f3, etc. I think it is more important to know how much poodle or retriever is in the mix because I know that the increase poodle lowers shedding. The backcross to the retriever just puzzled me and I didn't know if that affected the "f" label. Both parents are low to non-shedding and she is very curly so I'm hopeful for low shedding without the increased poodle genes. I know, I know - how silly is that! She'll look like a poodle but I'll feel better knowing that she's not more poodle. I'm sorry, I just grew up with my grandma's yippy poodle and I guess I struggle with poodle bias :-( Guess I need more doodle therapy.....
You need to spend some time around a well-bred standard poodle, lol. That will take away your poodle bias. A really well-bred standard poodle makes most of our doodles seem hyper and yippy!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service