DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My 13 month old labradoodle was attacked as i took her out to go potty.  Fortunately, the dogs owner immediately raced to his dog and was able to minimize the damage.  I also grabbed my dog in my arms so her body was protected although the dog still had her ear in his mouth.  My dog's ear was chewed up and leg bitten...would have been much worse except owner fought with everything he had to release his dog.  My dog went to ER and attacking dog's owner went to ER in ambulance.  Anyways, my question is how do i deal with my dog so she doesn't now bite or go on the attack.   She now growls at every sound and at everything that moves.  I'm out of town so for now i'm keeping her inside with me.  ANY suggestions would be very much appreciated.   I'm afraid if another dog tries to play with her...she'll think its another attack.  I live in Kalamazoo MI area if anyone knows any professionals who would be helpful please recommend.    Thanks In  Advance!!

Views: 865

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really dislike sounding like the B.... In the group....but something similar recently happened in our gated community in fla. the story by us didn't end pretty....the resident was forced by a "shunning" of he & his wife to put his house up for sale. The neighbor in my community was a lawyer & lied through his teeth as they say. Don't necessarily believe all that neighbor is saying...if you have a leash law....you can sue & even for him the dog can either be sent to obedience school or be put down. I guarantee he is afraid you will sue or force the issue on the dog being put down....do you know if he had his rabies up to date??

He was up to date on all shots.

I am horrified that this happened to you! You have gotten good advice here and tomorrow will get more help. Hoping that both of you can put this behind you in time. 

So sorry to hear about your dog.  A friend of mine has a datsun.  He was attacked by a chow mix several years ago.  The chow was being walked by a teenage girl and went after the small dog.  Both dogs were on leash but the girl lost control.  My friend's dog ended up with various puncture wounds and internal bleeding.  She said her dog looked like a rag doll in the mouth of the chow who was tossing it around.  She managed to kick the chow as a neighbor ran out to help.  She ran home with her poor dog and rushed to the vet.  Luckily after many surgeries he has recovered.  The chow family paid for the vet bills but would not pay for psychological or behavior training.   For over a year the datsun would not walk on that route.  My friend noticed that he was also very nervous about walking past other dogs.  Her dog is much better now but it has taken lots of time and  patience.  Good luck.  I hope you are able to get help.

Met with behaviorist today and things went well.  Took my dog and her dog for a walk and my dog ignored hers and was very stressed.  Back at her house, she put one of her dogs behind the fence and let my dog decide if she wanted to approach...she did!!  Once she was comfortable....put them together in yard and the sniffed a little and that was about it.  She switched to another dog...a bit more playful and my dog again was interested and sniffed but still very stressed.   After three dogs and no aggression she laid down in the yard with them close by and eventually stopped shaking and seemed a little relaxed.  I was relieved to see she was not going to be aggressive because of her experience.  She's still stressed but I'm pretty confident it also has to do with having to wear the cone and being away from home.  Behaviorist is thinking she'll get through it without much to worry about.  8 more days and she should be able to shed the cone and we'll be on our way home.  Session was 90 min. @$85.00....money well spent for my peace of mind and some very good information and social time for Shelby.  Thanks for all the support and comments!!!

Great results and good rate : )

Thank you so much for updating how things went with your pup and the behaviorist. It all sounds positive and hopeful. 

So happy that there seems to be a positive outcome for you and your dog.  I can't even imagine going through something like that.  Hopefully the neighbor compensates you without any problem so you can get back to your life with as little stress as possible.  Keep us posted!

I'm very lucky!!  Neighbor stopped by and gave me a check for my expenses.  He's probably only in his early 20s and I couldn't ask for him to be any better.  I told his the behaviorist (who turns out to live only a few miles away) also evaluates hoarded dogs and shelter dogs to determine if they are safe.  He is going to have his dog evaluated and it now sports a muzzle.  I know I'm very lucky that so many things have gone right since the attack.  A thundershirt was also recommended and has seemed to calm her nervousness to a more manageable level when we go outside.  Thanks again for all the concern and support.    I don't post much but do follow the forums.  I'll give you an update once we get back home.  

I think most people always do the right thing and I'm so glad that your neighbor did!  It makes everything else more bearable!  So glad that everything is working out for you and I know that your doodle is lucky to have you as her owner as you are obviously doing everything  you can to make this as easy on her as you can!!!

So sorry to hear about this. This is why my husband bought me mace to carry when I walk Bogey. Fortunately haven't had to use it yet.

She covered that in our time today.  She said carry citronella spray instead of mace....dogs hate it and you don't ended up blinded by the mace.  They carry it at Petsmart.  Other suggestion is carry chicken bits or steak bits and throw it to the ground towards the approaching dog while you get your dog and head away.  She had me watch a presentation online that she did for shelters showing how to break up a fight...how to read body language...how to tell if they're fighting or playing rough and how to break release of a dog that won't release when he has hold of another dog.... Don't think I'll be using that.  It was an hour presentation online that I watched before going to the appointment today.  My plan...avoid avoid avoid!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service