DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My 13 month old labradoodle was attacked as i took her out to go potty.  Fortunately, the dogs owner immediately raced to his dog and was able to minimize the damage.  I also grabbed my dog in my arms so her body was protected although the dog still had her ear in his mouth.  My dog's ear was chewed up and leg bitten...would have been much worse except owner fought with everything he had to release his dog.  My dog went to ER and attacking dog's owner went to ER in ambulance.  Anyways, my question is how do i deal with my dog so she doesn't now bite or go on the attack.   She now growls at every sound and at everything that moves.  I'm out of town so for now i'm keeping her inside with me.  ANY suggestions would be very much appreciated.   I'm afraid if another dog tries to play with her...she'll think its another attack.  I live in Kalamazoo MI area if anyone knows any professionals who would be helpful please recommend.    Thanks In  Advance!!

Views: 865

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What an awful experience, so frightening for both of you.   Good for you to deal with it so thoroughly and immediately.  With that care and attention I think you should both be fine.

I have a 7 month old puppy with many fears already. I always worry about dogs coming after him on our walks since it has happened to me in the past with another dog. It took me along time to get him to walk down the street with dogs barking out of gates and front doors, he is finally able to walk around a big block. You experience has really helped me I am going to be proactive and get the citronella. I am so sorry for what happened and hope and pray you both heal from this.
Sue and Cooper
Again thanks for sharing everything .

I am glad that your doodle seems to be overcoming such a terrible episode.  It certainly sounds like you have done all the right things. 

I am going to get some citronella spray.  there is a big dog (great dane) in a house near us that does not like Quincy (perhaps all other dogs).  Sometimes the female owner walks him.  Once she had her daughter on a tricycle with her! -now just how she thinks she can control that big dog and keep her daughter safe on a road without sidewalks is beyond me.  Fortunately, I saw her before we left our driveway and we just went back inside. 

Again, glad you and your doodle are on the right road for recovery and stay safe!  

We went to a wonderful vet here yesterday and he presribed a little doggy xanax to ease some of the nervousness about going outside to potty again.  She went out this morning without the xanax and quickly pottied and came right back in....Yeah!!  I talked to another neighbor whose calm well behaved off leash lab was outside this morning and he said his dog had been attacked...not recently and not around here....but it took about two weeks for him to get over it.  I just wanted to warn him about the dog next door...he said he knew it was a mean dog and they usually have it chained in the backyard.  Perhaps after the emotional and financial expense of the attack...they'll rethink keeping that dog!!  Again...thanks for all the comments!!  If anyone in the Champaign Urban Area needs a vet....I'd totally recommend the vet we went to yesterday.  The thought even crossed my mind...we're only 4 hour drive away...yes I liked him that much!!  He came in and she began growling and backing away....he immediately sat on the floor with her and waited until she felt comfortable going to him.  

Four hours is an awfully long way when your dog is sick. My vet is about 1/2 hour and I wish she were closer.

I don't plan to drive that....just saying he was that good that it crossed my mind!

: ) I felt that way about an orthopedic vet I took Calla to. Luckily we don't need him but it's good to know he's there.

Chaining a dog is illegal in many areas and is a good way to create aggression. Illinois enacted new laws on tethering dogs recently, this neighbor may be in violation: http://www.whbf.com/story/22914386/new-il-tethering-laws

Oops, saw "Champaign Urban" and thought you were in IL; the U of IL vet school is in Champaign/Urbana, lol.

Here's a list of state laws regarding chaining dogs: http://animallaw.info/articles/State%20Tables/tbustetherlaws.htm

I am in Illinois.  We went to the University of Illinois Animal ER when the incident occurred.  I'll probably be heading back to Michigan next week. Since the accident, Shelby no longer sleeps in her crate at night....she's now sleeping every night in my bed!!  She's happy about that!!

I am so sorry your dog was attacked and glad that things are progressing well. I just wanted to take a moment and say I hope this dog owner relinquishes this dog, but not for the reasons you may think. People who chain their dogs up in their yard are asking for trouble. I never understood why people get dogs and then banish them to the backyard to live their life on a chain. That poor dog doesn't stand a chance and then gets out and creates this mess for good dog owners, like yourself. It is not the dog's fault, it is the owner's, yet the dog is the one who will pay the price in the end and this idiot will go on to get another dog and do the same thing. Stricter laws are needed in all states. Rant over....but, I am sorry for you, your dog, and this dog who ended up in a bad situation. Keep us updated and good luck.

Amen, Laurie. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service