DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My 10 week old puppy Ava has no problem going up the two steps I have that lead to the door but she will not go down them, so I have to carry her into the backyard every time she has to potty. It's not a problem of her being to short to reach the next step, she just doesn't want to go down. Did any one else have this problem with their puppy, if so how did you teach your dog to go down the stairs or did they just over come this fear once they got older. 

Views: 532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Quincy all of a sudden just did the stairs, a full flight, in a kind of go for broke tumble.  my DH still thinks he takes them too fast in one drum roll leap with his paws barely touching.  He still does not go down the steeper stairs to our basement, and we don't encourage him since it's such a hodge podge of "stuff" down there.

I think you should give your pup time and she will figure it out.  Good luck! 

Luna was pretty scared of the stairs for a while - like your doodle up was no problem.. down was very scary!  We have a few stairs leading out from our back door too, so we had to carry her down.

Luna eventually figured out that stairs weren't that scary after all it just took some time.

I was told to carry my puppy up/down the stairs until she was 6 months old to protect her bones/joints. However, before I was told this I taught her to walk down the stairs by luring her with treats, which is what the trainer at obedience school told me to do. Don't force her if she's scared.

And be careful what you wish for. Now when I open the door Dory is down the stairs before I have a chance to say "wait!"

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service