DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I've been trying to teach my 4-month-old GD puppy to walk nicely on a leash and I've tried everything from treating while we walk, stopping if she pulls, walking backwards, walking in random directions, you get the idea. I've also tried the Gentle Leader head halter which she absolutely hated and made her depressed and miserable.

So finally, I came across the Easy Walk Harness by Premier and tried it for the first time today. I wasn't expecting much but it worked!! Whenever she started pulling, the strap in front of her chest would tighten and she would slow down or stop. This was the first walk where I didn't feel like my arm was going to get yanked out of the socket. She also didn't seem to mind having it on since the strap wasn't on her nose.

My only concern after reading some reviews is that the straps might rub too much on her armpit area and cause welting. Have any of you had experience with this harness? Do you know if it's safe to use? By the way, she's only 21 lbs and already pulls like a horse! I can't imagine what I would do if she's still pulling like this when she's full grown at 50-60 lbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My apologies! Wrong name! My harness is the "No Pull" not "Easy Walk"
Hi Flora, I use the Halti on Lucy, same thing as the gentle leader, different company. I started it on her as a wee pup b/c she pulled as well and I was imagining her pulling me at 70#'s. She hated it then and still hates it. I love it though, but get tired of people thinking I have a muzzle on her. I am considering getting the harness. I think it will work just as well. Good luck

Karen, the Easy Walk harness doesn't have anything on the face or head. (See above) Different from the regular GL head collar, which is like a Halti.

We use this for both our 60+ pound doodles. We love them and have had no problems.

I will say that if one of our doodles sees a cat, she still wants to dart. We try to keep all felines out of her radar.
I have two doodles, and walking them together can be a challenge. In fact I can not walk them together unless Joe wears his Easy Walk harness. Their trainer recommended it when we were going through training classes. The one I have for Java Joe does not have a strap across the nose. We have the same harness that is reviewed by Tamara and Giada at the link Karen provided. I have never experienced any welting on Joe and perhaps that is because I always check the fitting and remove the harness when we aren't going for a walk.

I adore the harness, and our family will always have to have one for the rambunctious Java Joe!

Hi, I wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I don't like the easy walk harness. I don't like that the leash hook up is at the front. I don't usually walk my dog behind me so I doubt it would ever be with out tension from another direction. My sister has this one and it hasn't worked for her either. Trying to teach heel is pretty difficult when you are pulling the system from the side. Due to placement and fit being such an integral part of it supposedly working it doesn't seem easy to put on or adjust either.
I did get another type that I absolutely love. It is very easy to put on. Fits very well as it is so easy to adjust. I didn't even need to attach the leash as the dog heeled perfectly (something we have been working on) He didn't jump up and do a flip in the air in excitement when seeing another dog to play with. (the neck collar allows this accrobatic gesture)
I have used the gentle leader too. It was a must have back when I was training my older dog. She did ok with it. The pups and younger dogs that I have walked with it on caused nothing but problems. The pulling and wearing of the eye area and the nose area even until they bled. The pawing and tearing to get it off as well. I threw it out after my gilr was leash trained.
It is the yuppie puppie that I love so I hope this helps.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service