DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Our first Doodle Sydney had some crazy bug last week.  She was sneezing (a bit) and then coughing every now and then for about 2 or 3 days.  Sydney seems fine now, but it seems as though Sydney passed whatever it was onto Olivia.  Two or three days ago, Olivia starting making funny noises thorugh her mouth sounding like she was very congested.  She has been walking around sneezing constantly for several days.  She did eat (not her usual portions) over the last few days and was drinking water.  But then this morning her stomach was making very funny noises, was trying to eat the grass outside, didn't poo, she refused to eat everything I offered her, did not drink any water and just wants to be held.  If it's a virus or dog flu, can you suggest what we can do today.  If she is not better by tomorrow we will take her to the vet.  Do you think it's OK to wait until tomorrow to have her checked out.  We are not crazy about the emergency vet which we have been to several times this past year.  Also, neither of our doodles were near any other dogs since early March when they went to the groomer.  We probably have stray animals and cats going through our yard.  We have seen a stray cat this past week.  Olivia has never had allergy problems and the stomach thing makes us think it's some type of virus or bug.  What would you do to make Olivia more comfortable.  THANKS!

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see your prediciment.  We are sooo lucky to have a good "country vet."  His office is right next to his house and he is always available for his patients.  It is a 15 minute drive out in the country, but again so worth it.

I am not at all level headed when it comes to pets, Which is really quite shameful being that when I was an ER nurse I would roll my eyes at parents who brought their kids in for what I deemed to be silly reasons. Now with Jack, I am a fool, I would not wait. Though if I was a nurse and I was giving a parent advice I would tell them to do exactly what Karen said. It is so different when it  is yours and you love them so much.

Either way, Hope they feel better, let us know what happens.

Jennifer and Jack

Does Olivia like ice cubes?  I would try giving her an ice cube or two to see if you can get some water down her.  If she'll take them, I would then wait until tomorrow.  Hope your little girl gets better fast.  It is hard when they can't tell you what's wrong!  :-(

Thanks to all for your concern and suggestions.  Olivia did take a few bites of her dinner.  We added some low sodium chicken broth as Karen suggested.  She seems a bit more alert.  We're hoping she will drink some water.  I am going to try the ice cubes now as Dori suggested.  Both of our Doodles loved the ice cubes as puppies but not so much lately.  Hopefully Olivia may get some liquids in her with the ice.  Have a nice evening!
So happy to hear she is doing better!  It is so sad when our little loves don't feel good.  Wishing you a good night and a happy healthy doodle in the morning!

I wish I had thought of this earlier, it's probably too late to try it now, but it's worth mentioning for the future. You can also try frozen fruit juice bars if you're trying to keep a dog hydrated. Many dogs love them.

Or even freeze the chicken broth if she likes ice cubes. But I know it's late now. Never know, might come in handy in the future.
Olivia seems much better today.  She actually ate some kibble from her bowl at 11:30 last night and took a sip of water.  I tried to give her an ice cube, put it in a little bowl, tried to put some cold water from the cube on her lips and she looked like I was trying to poisen her.  Thank goodness, she did pee last night before her beddie time.  She had a good appetitie this morning and drank some water.  Hopefully we are on a road to recovery.  I don't know whether or not to take her to the vet today.  It is sleeting right now so I am waiting to see how the weather is this afternoon and may make an apt for then.
If she seems about the same or better I'd skip the vet and keep watching.
Im glad to hear she is feeling a little better today.  I hope she continues to feel better all day.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service