DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151581393994096&set=a...

This is a warning against Hartz Flea treatment products. It has caused numerous deaths in cats and dogs, not to mention severe burns (like this one) and seizures. Veterinarians say it is pure poison

Views: 734

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just did a Snopes check and it is listed as UNDETERMINED  

I am not a fan of any Hartz product......and she stops her comments now. 

I DO recommend that for any flea treatment product take a look-see at the activie ingredients and do your homework.  It's easy enough to do a bit of research when it concerns our pets.  Here an example of a page I have visited in the past:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=521

My daughters dog seizured after using a Hartz flea and tick product.  She almost lost her.   

I don't know if that is for real or not, but that poor dog does have some sort of nasty skin condition going on.  I can't imagine how painful that must be. 

Karen, where are you? But anecdotal stories can be found about anything.

Yeas ago I used Hartz spot on but probably a different formulation that this.  With the one I used there was no problem.

I don't know if this particular story is true, but this is a bad, bad product. The problem is the active ingredient phenothrin. (Frontline and other flea/tick products which unlike this one are not sold at Walmart contain permethrin, which is in the same family but much less toxic. Once again, I must remind all doodle parents that there is nothing sold in Walmart that is safe for your dog; nothing. Cheap is cheap for a reason.) 

About Phenothrin: 

In 2005, the U.S. EPA canceled permission to use phenothrin in several flea and tick products, at the request of the manufacturer, Hartz Mountain Industries.[2][3] The products were linked to a range of adverse reactions, including hair loss, salivation, tremors, and numerous deaths in cats and kittens. In the short term, the agreement called for new warning labels on the products.

As of March 31, 2006, the sale and distribution of Hartz's phenothrin-containing flea and tick products for cats has been terminated. However, EPA's product cancellation order did not apply to Hartz flea and tick products for dogs, and Hartz continues to use phenothrin in a concentration of 85.7% in many of its flea and tick products for dogs.[4]

Phenothrin is also extremely toxic to bees. A U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) study found that 0.07 micrograms was enough to kill honey bees.[1] It is also extremely toxic to aquatic life with a study showing concentrations of 0.03 ppb killing mysid shrimp.[1] It has increased risk of liver cancer in rats and mice in long term exposure.[1] It is poisonous to cats and dogs, with seizures and deaths being reported due to poisoning.[1] Specific data on concentrations or exposure is lacking.

The EPA has not assessed its effect on cancer in humans. However, one study performed by the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine links sumithrin with breast cancer; the link made by sumithrin's affect on increasing the expression of a gene responsible for mammary tissue proliferation.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenothrin

I knew you'd know, Karen. Surely you can buy bottled water for your dog at Walmart, JK.
Bottled water scares me and here's why
I used to carry a 6 pack or so of bottled water in my car. Living in Ohio, temps often go bow freezing and stay there for weeks. One particular cold winter I noticed everything frozen all around me, but my bottled water NEVER even had a tiny piece of ice
I called the company and they had no explanation. So I experimented with different companies and their bottled water. None froze :( Scary

About this Hartz I have seen this a few years ago and even saw it with several different brands.
PLEASE, only get these dangerous products from your vet. Not a shopping item at all
Weird that your water didnt freeze. I put bottled water in the freezer all the time so I can let it thaw during the day while drinking it. Both Nestlé and Ice Mountain freeze with no issues.

But I do agree with the Hartz consensus... Stay away!

I keep Ice Mountain in the (unheated) garage and it freezes solid every winter.

I freeze Poland Springs water all the time. You know Joanne, that saying about the people that can't even boil water ? Maybe you are to opposite, and can't freeze water ! LOL :)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service