DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I've been thinking about why doodles are so popular and yet so many are abandoned by their owners. I made a list of reasons why people may get a doodle and then later decide they just aren't doodle people. This is something that I posted on the DRC website, but also wanted to share here in case anyone on here is researching into getting a doodle. The things listed below may appear negative, but I think they are really important to consider. Few breeders actually post anything negative about doodles on their sites, but these "negatives" are also reasons why I love doodles.

Doodles have received so much positive press lately and many people believe they are the perfect dogs. While they make wonderful companions, they are not for everyone.
These are some important considerations before you add a doodle to your family.

1. If you want a golden retriever or a lab that does not shed, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Most doodles shed to some degree and those that do not, do not look like either of these parent dogs.

2. If you are just not a poodle person, DON'T GET A DOODLE. All doodles have poodle in them and if the word Poodle makes you cringe, then do not get a doodle.

3. If you are allergic to dogs, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Doodles go through coat changes and even if you are not allergic to your doodle's puppy coat, you may be allergic to his adult coat. Doodles have been deemed hypoallergenic by the media, but for most, this is not the case.

4. If you want a clean dog, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Many doodles love water, mud, and rolling in smelly things. Their coats can be like velcro and will collect twigs, dirt, burrs, leaves, etc.

5. If you want a low-energy dog, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Most doodles require at least 30 - 60 minutes of real exercise. Simply letting your doodle out in the backyard is not exercise. There are plenty of low-energy dog breeds that would be a better fit if you want a couch potato.

6. If you can't devote time and money into training, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Doodles are intelligent and want to please you, but they are not born with manners.

7. If you want an independent dog, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Doodles thrive on human companionship and most are velcro dogs. They need your attention and will demand it.

8. If you want the perfect dog, DON'T GET A DOODLE. There is no such thing as a perfect dog, and just like other breeds, doodles can have a wide variety of temperaments and health issues.

If you are still interested in a doodle, that's great! But keep in mind that some of the pre-conceived notions touted by the media that have made doodles so popular are also reasons why so many of these dogs are abandoned by their owners. A doodle can be a wonderful dog and will provide you with unconditional love but you must consider if this is the right type of dog for you. Please do not break your doodle's heart.

Views: 2119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think this is so well-written and SO SO TRUE! Knox is still a puppy (almost 5 months) and he is exhausting to take care of! I love him to death but he keeps me hopping! Loves to dig and hasn't met a water puddle that he doesn't like so keeping him clean is hard. He proudly wears his food and dirt on his chin, making him appear dirty almost 24/7. He DOES shed (hopefully, it's the puppy coat but I'm thinking it's to stay!). Doodles are definitely "high-maintenance" (almost as much as my 18 year-old daughter!) as having my adult dog Tahoe groomed often cost close to a hundred dollars per time! Is it worth it? Undoubtedly yes to me, but I wonder what my DH would say if asked! ha!

Great job, Jane!
I have found that if I use a finishing spray on my doodles with a special brush that is made for poodle grooming, I get the mats our 1.2.3. Ozzy and Zoey don't mind the bushing at all either. This has made my life easier, I hope this little tip can help you too. I went to a groomer show and that is what they showed me. It really works.
what kind of special brush? Chili matts alot I cut them out but it is not pretty.. He doesn't like it when I groom him I think it pulls his wooly coat.
I just posted a link to this discussion on my Adoption Info page of my website.

As a breeder, when I read the owners' posts about their doodles, I feel a bit sad. It's never my intention to mislead anyone that Labradoodles (what I breed) are perfect or easy to own. I guess in my passionate love for them, I forget that not everyone's lives are completely saturated in all things dog...as mine is. :)

Thank you for posting this.
I think it's great that you posted a link to this discussion on your website! Thank you!
If you want atruley devoted family dog with heaps of personality and fun buy an Australian Bred Labradoodle

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service