DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

For the last two weeks, Henly has had intermittent diarrhea (overnight only and every 90 minutes - 2 hours = fun times!)

I attributed this to transitioning her to a new food.  But upon returning to her original food, the diarrhea came back.

Because of what I've learned on this website, I requested another fecal test at the vets.  After running the tests, they told me everything was negative.  I said "for giardia too?" and they said "we don't test for giardia because we have to send the stool sample out and it's too expensive".  Seriously, that's what they said!!!!

This morning I took Henly (and another stool sample) to a new vet.  They will be calling me tomorrow with her results (including giardia).  In the meantime, they prescribed Panacur and Metronidazole and are treating her for worms/giardia.  

Today is day 2 of her chicken & rice diet.  She's supposed to be on the meds for 5 days.  Obviously, I'll know more tomorrow but I just wanted everyone to be aware that just because the vet requests a stool sample and you may request a wellness check for your new puppy, they may not be checking for giardia.

I had no idea I had to request it!

Views: 321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Their tummies are super sensitive, sometimes.  I have found that adding in pureed pumpkin (unsweetened) really helps when digestive issues strike my two.  Also, be sure to allow Henly ample quiet time before and after meals.  In other words, keep her clear of any strenuous physical activity for a good hour before and after she eats.  What good news that she doesn't have any parasites -- phew!

One of the main reasons for a stool sample in the presence of diarrhea would be to rule out giardia!!! Cant imagine any Vet not doing that test. Smart to change to a new Vet.

Thanks Sue!  I feel really good about changing vets AND about throwing out the Metro.  I have to take control of Henly's health and, if nothing else, this diarrhea journey will have taught me A LOT about her digestive system, which is actually good to know.  

So some good news and progress ahead.  Henly is 13 weeks old today and is gaining weight, coming in at 15.2 lbs yesterday.  She's been sleeping through the night again; getting us up anywhere between 5am and 5:40am (this morning!).  She goes to sleep at 10pm so we feel it's a pretty good stretch even though I keep wishing for a 6am wake-up call.

Yesterday I switched back over to chicken & sweet potatoes.  The chicken & rice gave her stools form but they were still very mushy (it may have been the yogurt too.)  I stopped the yogurt when the Proviable capsules arrived on Friday.

Yesterday she got 1/3 c chicken and almost 2/3 c sweet potatoes 3x a day + one Proviable capsule at breakfast and a heaping tablespoon of pumpkin at lunch (my first vet told me pumpkin wouldn't help to firm stools...another whammy against the first vet).  It's hard to know if that amount of food is too much (since I'm learning that too much food can cause diarrhea too!).  I'm considering switching it to 1/2 c chicken and 1/2 c sweet potatoes (2/3 c seems like a LOT of sweet potatoes).  Any thoughts???

She hasn't had any kibble since April 27th.  I'm looking at using the kibble as treats when I gradually add it back into her system (maybe 10 - 20 pieces a day while training).  I'm also thinking about a limited ingredient kibble.  If it is proven again that the pumpkin and sweet potatoes firm up her stool nicely, then I think I'm going to look for that in a food (chicken, sweet potatoes and pumpkin).  I'll have to make sure it's suitable for puppies.  Any one have any suggestions off the top of your head or experience??  I realize this thread is not in the food group...I hope it's still ok to ask.

Just wanted to share some good news and progress, in case it helps anyone else.  Here she is after her first puppy bath at the groomers (they trimmed a little around her eyes too).  She's a trooper!

Thank you.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service