DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Can anyone with children with special needs share your experience with your doodle and the response from your child? Did the child adjust immediately to having a animal, was it a difficult transition? We are looking for a Doodle for our 7 year old non-verbal autistic, he is very mild autistic and loves electronics and trains, riding bikes, driving his powerwheels etc. We have no animals and although we've had him around animals, I cannot be sure how he would respond to have one living with him since hes not a touchy feely type of kid, can you share your experiences?

Views: 491

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, Laurie. I applaud Ed for asking questions before getting a dog, instead of afterwards. Visiting the ASPCA is a great idea. Even just spending time in the homes of friends who have dogs.

Also if your son works with a therapist, they might be able to point you toward someone/another therapist with a therapy dog that could come into your home while you are making the decision and point out some things to think about with training. Wouldn't hurt to ask around.

We fostered a puppy when we were making our decision just to test the waters and see how the kids would handle having a puppy in the house.  I also needed to know if I could handle a puppy and 2 kids.

I agree with Laurie....puppies can be hell on wheels for the first year+ of their lives.  3 months vs. 4 months won't make a huge difference.  Your training (continually) makes the biggest difference.  I need to take Peri back to some training even now at over 3 years old.  And she passed her canine good citizen at age 2!  It never ends, just keep that in mind.

Ed, how has your son been around the animals he has met? Does he seem interested in them or indifferent? And there are certainly dogs who's personalities could suit him just fine in that they aren't very touchy feely either. That was something we had to train one of our dogs to be, but he'd be just as happy if we didn't touch him much. As much as it sounds like you are preparing for this, there really are no guarantees, but it sure seems to me that a dog in your home would be a great asset to your son. There is so much he will learn through the experience that he otherwise wouldn't. As long as he is not afraid of dogs and is not hurtful to it, the worse case scenario is that he just doesn't want anything to do with it, but at least you and your wife have a dog in your home once again. Reason enough to get one I'd think.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service