DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! We are traveling out of town with puppy for the first time. At home he is so calm and mellow. At my in laws house he just won't settle down. I've taken him on a long walk this morning. Did some training exercises to try to tire him out mentally. Any other tips? thank you!

Views: 208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He's probably over stimulated and a little out of his comfort zone. Maybe try and find a small quiet room and just sit there with him for a bit? Maybe like a laundry room or a half bathroom? Or a part of the basement? Just some quiet area were he will be able to go and get away from all the "holiday cheer". If you have his crate or travel carrier, maybe set it up there too? Loki got a little out of whack in new places when he was a puppy and I would try and take him into a laundry room and just sit there with him so he could calm down and maybe get a nap in?

Good luck! Happy Thanksgiving!

This is great advice.  We traveled with Oliver at 6 months and during the holidays he was at parties surrounded by 40+ people.  We'd take some time, go in a quiet room where his crate was for some low key training, tummy rubs and short naps.  It helped him to calm down and not be 100% maxed out all the time.

For your peace of mind, I would put a leash on him and have him sit or lie quietly by your side or walk with you where you go. After you establish this is the way it is going to be, I think he will feel more secure and settle down. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service