DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi, My dog has suddently started getting little bloody areas randomly on her. About the size of a pencil eraser. Then I found little scabs scattered about her body. Found these last night. I have an appt. with vet in two hours. It has continued this morning. They are really bleeding. I've looked all over her and cannot find any fleas or ticks. They are even where she can't get to (top of head by her eye, so I know she isn't causing the bleeding by biting) What could be causing this. Anyone know or have had this happen? She did recently go to an event in the country with other dogs. Could it possibly be chiggers and if so how do you get rid of them on dogs?

Views: 1704

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh poor baby! When I just read that you brushed her etc. on Sunday and the lesions showed up on Monday-do you think that is what caused it to spread? Was she sick in any way other than these bleeding spots? My dood every once in awhile gets a blistery type of rash on his belly. When I took him to the vet the first time-she squeezed one of these and a pussy type of liquid came out. She gave me a cream to use and this cleared it up right away. Every once in awhile, a slight rash in the same spot will develop and it dissappears when I use the cream. I wonder if this could be staph. How would a dog get this?
Debbie, the pustules you describe are a sign of staph infection. Staph is commonly present on a dog's skin. A good article:
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/staph.html

From another article:

Staphylococcal pyoderma is one of the most common staph infections affecting both adult dogs and puppies. This infection is usually referred to as a typical "staph infection" and occurs when staph bacteria become overgrown on the skin of the affected dog. Symptoms of a staph infection include crusted lesions, which usually occur around the stomach and abdomen, drainage of the skin lesions and mild to severe itching, accompanied by red, inflamed skin.
Usually staph infections occur as a secondary infection.
Full article:
http://www.ehow.com/about_5399371_staph-dogs.html
Thanks Karen-I just read both of these articles and I am pretty sure the blistery rash they described is exactly what Thomas had. He actually had it about two weeks after we brought him home and we were at the vet for shots and a thorough exam so I showed it to her. She prscribed the cream we used and it was pretty much gone within 24 hrs. It came back a few times and I just used the cream and it went away again. I have not noticed it for a few mths. now but I will be sure to watch for it. It is interesting to learn from these articles that dogs and humans have this bacteria on our skin and that it only takes an iritation of some sort to allow the bacteria into the bloodstream. Thks again
Our Peke has recurring staph infections. We got her at a shelter and she's kind of like a house of cards healthwise...a very delicate balancing act. I figured out shortly after we got her that she has an allergy to wheat, and knowing that has helped to keep her infections pretty much in check. She just had her first outbreak in several months. The wheat allergy was easy to diagnose because her belly skin, which should have been pink, was pretty much solid black. So far so good with our Doodle! I hope you're able to get it in check. Food allergies are difficult to isolate, but worth the effort. Hang in there!!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service