DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We came from work yesterday and when we took Bogey out he had watery diarrhea. He had a few more bouts of it through the evening and began vomiting as well. We called the emergency vet and they suggested we take him in. His parvo test came back negative, temp normal, stomach soft and he was not dehydrated. They were not able to get a fecal. They sent us home with metrodinazole and cerenia and suggested a bland diet. Overnight, he's thrown up a few more times. After reading DK, I'd like to hold off on the metro. Do you think that's ok for now? Since he is still vomiting, I was planning on giving him the cerenia this morning. For food, I was going to start him on chicken and sweet potato. Do you think I should start him on a probiotic as well?

He did start puppy class last week so I'm wondering if he picked something up. He has had no change in diet except he did have string cheese as a training treat during class last Tuesday.

Views: 545

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should definitely give him the Cerenia. A probiotic is necessary if you do give him the metronidazole, and if so, be sure to allow at least two hours between the probiotics and the antibiotics. You might try just giving some plain, unflavored nonfat yogurt for now. With the bland diet, be sure to feed him about twice the amount as you normally feed kibble, it has only about half the calories. 

Is it possible that he ingested something he shouldn't have, either indoors or out? A child's sock, part of a toy, something in the yard? That's often the cause of these kind of symptoms, especially in puppies.

I would suggest a fecal test if you can get a sample.  It may be something he ate or it could be an infection of some sort. Then you will know how to proceed with antibiotics. Just giving one for the heck of it is not an option when my dogs are sick. I need to know what I'm treating.  Yes on the cerenia and a probiotic as well can't hurt. What do you think Karen?

I agree, I don't give meds unless I know what I'm treating. 

Parasites and giardia don't generally cause vomiting, but a fecal couldn't hurt. If it continues, I personally would ask for an X-ray to rule out a foreign object. It's just so common, especially when there are kids in the house.

Also, with Halloween approaching, this is a good time to mention again that chocolate is toxic to dogs. So are raisins, and so is the xylitol used in sugar-free gum and candies. Be sure to keep all goodies far out of reach of dogs, and make sure kids understand this as well. 

With these symptoms I always get a little concerned about pancreatitis, but the string cheese was a week ago so I think that's too long to have caused this kind of issue.  If there is anymore vomiting or diarrhea, I would go ahead with the metronidazole along with a probiotic....and I would call your vet. This is my opinion, and others may feel differently.  Cerenia is just an anti-nausea med....it does nothing to address the cause of the symptoms.  I wouldn't worry too much about eating right now (although boiled chicken and sweet potato is a good choice) but keep him hydrated.  Keep us posted please, and I sure hope he starts feeling better soon.

I ended up taking Bogey back in this morning. He was arching his back and would not come out of his crate. They are running x rays to check for blockage. Said it should take about an hour. They said he is in pain so will give him a pain reliever as well. Will update when I know more.

I am so sorry this happened to both of you!  I so hope Bogey gets better soon.  Waiting must be awful.  I am so glad he is in the care of his regular vet. Best wishes, Jenn and Bogey!

I hope they can find out what's wrong and help him. Please do keep us updated. 

Oh Jenn - I hope they can help him feel better soon! Please update when you know results. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and sweet Bogey.

Jenn, I'm so sorry and feel so bad for you and poor little Bogey.  I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.  Please post updates when you can.  

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this news....hoping that you get to the bottom of this and he's okay.

Any news Jenn?

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service