DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I am posting this picture of Boris so you can understand how sad I am now. I am very happy that he is home and he is wagging his tail lots though he is disorientated and sleepy. Riley has been very gentle with him and is just lying near him. For now I am beside him as his crate is too small and the super size one hasn't arrived yet. He is very happy to be home and enjoyed his food. He has pain killers and Rimadyl to take and the 15 staples in each shoulder come out in ten days time.  The vet surgeon told me there were two large lesions one on each shoulder that he removed and that the left joint showed evidence of mild synovitis (inflammation within the joint) The sad part of all this is that Boris is now likely (vets words) to develop osteoarthritis in both shoulders and slowing down the progression of this is what we will now have to manage carefully. He said that free running is not advised so no chasing a ball or running free in the fields with Riley. The rehab will be slow. He is on crate rest for six weeks followed be carefully managed rehabilitation which will probably include hydrotherapy. I sent this photo to the breeder along with the notes from the vet and asked her to do the right thing and not bring any more puppies into the world that could possibly have to go through this again. To say that I am sad is an understatement but I am so happy to have him home where he is happily asleep on his memory foam bed in my bedroom. I will sleep beside him for tonight as his crate is too small and an extra super size one that I ordered should arrive tomorrow. 

I have posted on FB as I want the world to know about this and am hoping that the breeder will get the message loud and clear.  DK friends have and continue to be a tremendous support and help to me as I help Boris with his recovery and get my own head around all of this.

Views: 582

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As was mentioned, having a pool that he can play in would be a great way for him to exercise. If Murphy were given the choice of free running or a pool to play in, he'd take the pool every time. Mine really don't "run free" very often and since they have each other to entertain themselves and allowing for some gentle doodle play, Boris will still have a wonderful active doodle life. How could he not, having you and Riley as his family? I keep thinking how very lucky he is and the running and romping seems like such a small price to pay considering the alternatives of his never being given the surgery or your home.
As for the day care, maybe in a year or so, it won't be such an issue either. I don't know how they would curtail his rough play, but maybe by then he will not even be interested in engaging is rough play any longer? Did the vet talk about any supplements to help with the arthritis possibility? Glucosomine possibly?

The day care are adamant that he is coming back and will adjust to suit him. They have a tiny dog area and a puppy area and as it happens he is terrific with the tiny's. He lies down and lets them climb all over him. They also have rest areas and a grooming parlor and said they would take him in there. 'Whatever it takes' was what they said. The vet said that while Glucosamine isn't proven it can't do any harm and just may help. I did buy some and started him on it a few weeks ago but have stopped as he is on two different tablets so I will wait to add the supplements back into his diet when he is finished with the drugs.

"Whatever it takes" sounds really good to me, Nicky. You have terrific day care providers. 

Boris is so lucky to have you. I know it's hard seeing him like this, but try to put it in  perspective and think to yourself how really, when it comes down to it, all Boris needs and truly cares about is YOU. Not running, not chasing Riley, etc.. He just wants you!  And think about how lucky he is to have YOU!  When Taquito is having a kidney flair up and stops eating for two days and seems miserable, I do get sad. But then I think "darn that dog is lucky to have me as his mom" - he is loved and i'd never, ever do anything but the best for him.  And Boris has the same with you!!  HUGS to you Nicky, our favorite Irish DKer!!

I don't know the back story to this, but he looks so pitiful. I'm glad he's finally home to you, but that's hard news that he won't ever be able to run free again. I'm so sorry this happened to you, I'm glad he has you in his life.

Poor Boris! Sadie and I send hugs and love your way!

I feel so sad that you guys have to go through this.  He's got a great mommy to help him recover.  I hope the hydrotherapy helps him, and that swimming can eventually become a regular part of his life.  At least he can swim if he can't run free.

Oh, this picture makes me sad too.

I am so glad he is home with you & the surgery is behind him.

I hope he heals well & adapts easily to his new restrictions.

He looks very cute in his Xmas shirt

I'm so sorry you had to go through this but it sounds like Boris is in excellent hands :)  My inlaws had a golden retriever puppy with severe elbow dysplasia and did a bilateral operation to help correct.  They never contacted their breeder and I'm still frustrated they didn't.  I hope your breeder takes the information seriously and doesn't use the sires/dams again.  Best of luck in the recovery!

This makes me so sad :(  Boris is very lucky to have you as his mom!  I'm sure Riley will continue to be gentle with him but also encourage him to move when the rehab gets going.  My doodle Bridget has been a tremendous help with keeping our older lab acting young after 3 knee surgeries.  I think they "just know."  Wishing you all the best!

Sending you and Boris big hugs. Poor fellow :-( Hang in there. It is so hard to see our babies hurting. You're doing such a great job taking care of him!

Poor poodle-legged baby.  I hope his recovery goes smoothly.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service