DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Bringing baby home in a few weeks! I am a little nervous about the first few weeks. Questions about crates ++

Hi everyone.

I'm new here.  I'm bringing home a little 8 week old goldendoodle in a month.  I am super excited.

Here's my question.  We have a 2 story house.  I am planning on buying a 42" crate that I will place in the livingroom on the main floor.  I was told the dog can be anywhere from 35-55 pounds full grown so I"m assuming at 42" crate is the way to go.... and yes, it has a divider.

A friend of mine told me that it's best to keep the puppy in your bedroom for a few weeks.  Do you guys agree?

The 42 inch crate is going to be big, was planning on keeping it on the first level.

My sister has also offered to loan me her (small) cat travel crate/carrier.  I am planning on using this to transport the puppy home.  It's only a 40 minute drive.

So what should I do?  Put the puppy in the cat travel crate by my bed (on the top floor)?  For how long?  The reason for this is that -  I assume - I can hear him during the night... and if he wakes up I have to take him outside to the bathroom?  Do you think as soon as I take him out of the crate he will pee in my bedroom?  I would need to make a mad dash with him downstairs and outside.

Another option - I can put the puppy in the large crate (with divider) on the main floor in the spot I plan to keep it and I can just sleep on the couch next to it.

Which sounds better?

The only thing I'm planning on putting in the crate at night is a Snuggle Puppy that a nice member here offered to send to me.

Any bits of advice?  Kind of nervous about the first few days/nights.  I haven't had a dog since I was a kid!

Thanks in advance

Views: 472

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would recommend getting another crate for your bedroom.     Your puppy will be happier near you.   The first few nights you may want to have the crate right next to your bed.   If he fusses, placing your hand on top of the crate may be enough to  quiet him.   When it's time to take him out of the crate to go outside, scoop him right up in your arms and take him out.   Don't let his feet touch the floor.   (That way he can't make a mistake)

I remember when we put Banjo in his "downstairs" crate the first few days.   He would cry and cry when I was out of sight.   I finally moved the crate to a more central location...where he could see me almost all the time.    This worked like a charm.  

I think Banjo was sleeping in his crate for about a year and a half.    He loved both crates.    Once we could count on him to behave when we weren't home....I put them both away.      I think if we still had them, he'd use them.    

Good luck and congrats on your new baby!!!!

Thank you for your reply!  I've scoured Craigslist and so far no one is selling a (regular) crate.  I plan to purchase a new one for the main floor.

For my bedroom, would my sister's cat carrier be too small?  Someone on CL is selling a medium sized travel dog crate, but I've read that for potty training they are only supposed to be allowed to have a small amount of space in their crate so they don't do to the bathroom in a corner of it.  Would it be too big for that purpose?

I've attached the pic of the dog crate that someone near me is selling for $20.  Hopefully you are able to click the link below to view.  Still learning how to do things on this site!

Attachments:

I agree with everything Carol said. What I don't like about the crate in your picture is....I think your dog will do better when he can see out of the crate. I also know that my pups got hot in their crates and I would just prefer better air flow. I may be crazy....LOL...but I like the crates that look more like this....

I think that crate is fine as *one* of your crates, but I too like to have the see through wire one.

Ok will get another one like this for bedroom, but it can't be too big because I don't have the room. What a 24 inch be OK?

Nancy has good advice, but I know you said you couldn't find a crate on Craigslist. It looks like Amazon has some pretty good prices on crates and you can use the link above under preferred Vendors and it helps DoodleKisses, too. I found this size chart for you that might help.

http://www.dog.com/content/pet-tips/measuring-your-dog-for-a-crate/

The good thing is you can sell a used dog crate on Craigslist because people are always looking. 

I'm sounding like a broken record. But I only got one small open wire crate when Georgia was a puppy. I even bought it used off of craigslist. I have a very tiny house, and a big crate was just too big to make space for.

Because it was small I was able to move it from room to room. I could sit it on a small low table in my bedroom so she was right next to me as I slept and I heard every signal. I carried it from the living room to the bedroom. I took the crate and my dog to my bridge group and she just slept in the crate while we played bridge. It was during the holidays so I brought the crate and her to holiday functions. It was so convenient. I sold it after about a month for the same price as I bought it. And upgraded to the medium size. She no longer needed so much supervision. She didn't care much for the crate, didn't fight it either, and I just don't have the room for the size she would need as an adult. So I sold the medium and have no crate. It served it's purpose. And now it's gone, and it didn't cost me more than a couple bucks.

I guess I didn't realize how inexpensive crates were on Amazon.  I thought they were pretty expensive and figured my big expense would be the large crate on the first floor.

But since I couldn't find a small crate on CL i'll just buy one from Amazon, they have a few under $30.

That's cute that you brought your pup to bridge!  lol

I agree with this.  We had a crate on our main level and one in the bedroom.  I also carried the puppies outside when I took them out of the crate during potty training.

Thanks for asking this question!  We're picking our guy up on November 13th, I have a 2 story house and planned on getting two crates as well.  We already have a wire crate for the lower level and plan to get a vari kennel for upstairs in my room.  I was going to get a Snuggle Puppy too.  

I love the reply here to scoop the puppy up and don't let his feet touch the ground.  I was wondering what to do during that long trip from upstairs to down with a full bladder!  

Congratulations!

Looks like we are in the same boat ! Congratulations to you too!
Oh - another question. What time should I put him to bed? I typically wake up around 5:45 am. I will make sure he goes to the bathroom before I crate him for the night.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service