DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Last night I posted that Brinkley took an emergency trip to the vet yesterday because we thought he had gotten dehydrated from a beach trip on Sunday.  He worsened overnight so we took him back.  After lots and lots of tests, x-rays and ultrasounds there is a host of problems.  He has a fever of 106.3 and climbing.  His pancreas is enlarged and he probably has a pancreitis.  He also probably has ileus, which is an infection in the small intestine.  His guts aren't moving and his stomack is hard as a rock.  This is the major concern along with the fever.  They said they must get his intestines moving or it can be terrible trouble-- like him going septic and his brain overheating. 

What we have going for us is that we caught it early-- really early.  They said most people wait too long thinking it will pass and then the worse case scenerio of death happens.  I just knew something was wrong last night and that's when I rushed him with moments to spare before the vet closed.  My husband spent all afternoon at the vet with him today and now Brinkley is staying overnight getting pumped full of pain meds, antibiotics and and fluids.  They are hoping with constant monitoring his intestines will start to move and not go sceptic. 

I'm so scared.

Views: 1363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope Brinkley has a restful, healing night.  It sounds like he is in good hands.
Aww I am sorry Brinkley is ill!! I hope he gets better very soon!
Heather, I'm so sorry to hear about Brinkley being sick.  I'll be sure to keep him in my thoughts.  Good luck and be strong.
Sending puppy dog prayers your way for Brinkley...and a few hugs for you
Heather, I am so sad to hear he is this sick. You are very fortunate and intuitive to have caught it so quick. The dehydration didn't make a lot of sense to me last night,as he wasnt having a lot of vomiting or diarrhea, that's why I talked about Murphy at the beach and his issues with ear infections. Our vet had warned us about all the bacteria in the wet sand that just breeds there cuz it stays wet, warm and has plenty of food to grow on. I wonder if they think it is from that or have they said yet. Otherwise I only know that it can come from fatty diets, but I have a feeling that is not his problem. Please let us know and we can all learn some valuable information while we pray for you all.

Thanks-- he definitely doesn't have a fatty diet.  He eats good food... and while I know his weight isn't much of an indication of fatty foods, he's very lean.  He actually needs to gain a few pounds-- but that's been slow going because I refuse to just plump him up the easy fast way with fatty foods. 

They said they think he could have had a minor infection that we wouldn't have ever noticed normally-- and that normally his body would have fought both the infection and any bacteria that he came in contact with... but if he did in fact have a small infection that was unnoticeable, his immune system could have been slightly compromised allowing the bacteria from the beach to wage war on his system.  I never even thought twice about it because he's been there a million times.

No more beach days for us.  And thank goodness I bought insurance a few months back!

So sorry to hear this, my prayers and positive thoughts are with you and Brinkley.

OH Dear Doodle.... all paws and toes and prayers are coming for a speedy recovery!! 

OMG, I am so sorry. I will keep positive thoughts for him.
Oh no!  Sending positive thoughts to Brinkley and hoping he is on the mend.
I am so sorry Brinkley is having such a hard time, and glad that you got him to the Vet and he is getting treatment.  I will be thinking about you all and praying he gets better.  Please keep us posted.  Doodle hugs from Webber and Seda.
OMD I am so sorry. I am on my way to midnight mass> I will say a prayer and light a candle for all of you. Take comfort in the fact that you reacted quickly and that we are hear and thinking of you!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service