DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Change of plans - getting puppy this saturday! Hints, tips, list of things I need!

Our original plan was for a litter due in April, ready to come home in May - but  "plan B" went into effect on Saturday! Long story short, we are going to pick up "Perry" this saturday. She's a curly haired female F1B.   I am scrambling to get a crate, food, things I'll need right away!  Please chime in if you have hints, tips, things I need to get right away! My Son has NO idea - he is still under the impression it will be May, so this is going to be a scavenger hunt/ puzzle for him to solve along the way to find his early surprise!(enroute to get her)

Views: 588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Only thing I can add is a spray bottle of Bitter Apple to stop chewing on rugs, furniture and even pants legs and shoes. Was a life saver with Bella, and I still us it occasionally.

All of the below...just get lots of sleep before hand as you will be really busy for at least a few weeks until you get the potty training under control.  Keep coming back here with any questions no matter how silly they might appear.. we have all been through it.  It's a magical time which goes very fast, most of all enjoy your new puppy.  Good luck.

I think you have a good list of things you'll need here.  I have nothing to add except congratulations and we'll be waiting for pictures of your Doodle baby.

One thing my husband and I did was to alternate sleeping in the bedroom with our puppy (in her crate).  One night, he'd sleep in the master bedroom and have all the puppy potty duties while I'd sleep in the guest room.  The next night, I'd be on puppy potty duty, while he'd get a good night's sleep in the guest room.  That way, at least one of us would be fairly well-rested. 

Like Lucy and Sophie's mom, we bought an exercise pen so that Sedona would have a safe, confined place to play when we couldn't watch her full time.  We bought a really cheap carpet remnant from Home Depot and layered a waterproof tarp under it.  It gave Sedona a soft place to lay/play, but helped save our real carpet.

I bought ex-pen and a baby gate (highest one I could find on Amazon). I ended up not using the ex-pen - all she did was to try to climb over. But the baby gate was very useful so that she doesn't go up and down the stairs when her legs were not long enough and not used to stairs, or to confine her on one level with me so that I can keep my eyes on her while I work. The gate is still up (Willow will be two in April) for occasional overnight guests to make sure Willow doesn't bother them at nights. 

One of the first things I got even before deciding on getting a puppy was this: http://www.ruffwear.com/Mt-Bachelor-Pad-trade_2. This pad is waterproof on one side and can be used as a dog bed, traveling blanket/bed, play mat, etc. etc. We found one on sale and it was used when we picked her up. We carried it everywhere for a while when she was a baby, and when she got carsick, this was very useful. She still uses it as her "eating blanket" - we give treats on this so that she doesn't drop crumbs all over the house. We also place her waterbowl on it - she's a sloppy drinker, and this pad is very absorbent. It's a bit pricey, but it's been our multi-purpose pad.

Willow was my first dog and I was so overwhelmed first several months, but now I regret not having enjoyed the time fully. Willow is still very cute and getting sweeter by day, but that puppy stage passed so quickly. Enjoy! 

aww... Sedona is so cute. Look at the sweet little tail wagging! And which one is the "real" puppy in the second picture?

She's a doll!  her coloring looks a lot like perry's!  Do you have any recent pics,  I'd love to see how the coloring changes as they get older...

SOUND MACHINE!  Put it on top of the crate - I really think it helps, especially since they are used to being with their littermates...it's lonely in the crate at night :(

You have received wonderful advice! Please post as many photos as possible, all of her "aunties" are anxious to get acquainted. ;o)

Congrats! How exciting! Potty bells for potty training!!!

Natures Miracle! Is a must! I only crated my pup when we were not home. Otherwise he slept in the room with us. Worked out fine. He is 11 months and is no longer crated. Good luck!

Stock up on booze!!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service