DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I will begin by saying that this is all my fault. I should have known better than to think my puppy would "outgrow" some bad habits. I was going to start her out right with all the obedience training when she was 12 weeks but I missed the class, they gave me the wrong start date, then they closed down, i thought i could train her!! my dog ate my homework, I didn't hear my alarm!!!! ETC...ETC... Like I said, my fault!!
I bought a prong collar for Charley who is 11 mo old, to stop her jumping. She will not stop! If I put a leash on her, she's smart enough to know not to jump! I take the leash off, she's all over me!!! I turn my back on her, she jumps on my back and has actually knocked me to the floor. If I reach down and grab the prong collar, she emeditely sits, calmly looks at me and waits for praise. When I let go of her collar, she's right back to jumping! I've tried to put her in time out, and she knows what's coming cuz she runs from me and then she thinks its a game and wags her tails and happily jumps around dodging my grabs! I'm pretty frustrated and its at myself not her! Luckily she will start obedience next week but I sure could use your help in the mean time.

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You might do well with a one-on-one session with a good trainer.  It might seem expensive but you will get more out of an hour with a trainer specifically dealing with your issues that months of obedience class. 

Deb

Charley is super cute, which is probably part of the problem.  It's too hard to be stern I know.  A good trainer is very helpful.  My trainer was..is very intuitive with Gracie and myself.  She is teaching us both.  By working together Gracie and I have a stronger and happier bond.....she now knows what is expected of her.  Just like our human children, they like to know their boundaries.  You'll get it

Dogs DO tend to recognize when they are on leash and off and when they are wearing a training collar and not.  The key to getting past that is with a program/training system/trainer who is experience at moving to off leash obedience.  Otherwise you can practice all the on leash stuff in the world and if you simply take off the leash without a system of training the off leash part you'll get a very obedient dog ON leash and a NON obedient dog off leash.

My doodles were trained and KNOW when they are wearing their corrective collars vs when the leash is snapped onto an ordinary slip collar.  What a huge difference.  I never transitioned them from the training collar mode to the relaxed collar mode.  This is my fault also. It can be corrected.  My suggestion is to get an e-collar and work with a trainer  as to properly using it to break her bad habits. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service