DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Our 11 month old mini golden doodle is chewing on our carpets.  We've tried many things including not letting him out of sight!  Anyone have some ideas to try - he gets lots of exercise, has many chew toys, etc.

Views: 501

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But even after all they have been through they are still so loving. 

Yep. That's the best thing about dogs, they don't look back. 

A trainer told you to use physical correction??? If a trainer told me that I'd be finding a new trainer, immediately.

Rolled up newspaper is good for smacking ourselves for not proofing...( That's what our trainer said,LOL  - really, though)

I wouldn't recommend hitting your puppy because that could cause him to fear you but you should try to redirect him when you see him showing interest in the carpet.  As soon as you even think he might be going for the carpet give him one of his toys to chew on. 

Have you done any obedience training?  You could use the "leave it" command and then reward him for leaving the carpet alone.

I did use the Bitter Lemon on rugs and walls for those times I was not around to deter her, but during my times with her that she would go to her favorite chew spots, we used "uh-oh" "no rug" and redirect to a chew toy.

Interrupt and redirect.  I used a white cotton tube sock knotted up as the acceptable chew item.  So interrupt with "leave it or ahh, ahh, or whatever word you chose"  and redirect giving him the sock and "take it, or okay or whatever word you chose."  The key is not allowing him to practice the bad behaviour, so the suggestion of rolling up the rugs for now if you can and eyes on supervision at all time will be important.

I am currently working on "Leave It" with my pup. I was surprised at how fast she caught on to it. We are only a couple days in and as soon as she hears me say leave it she comes right over to me and gets her treat. Eventually she won't get a treat for it but they really do learn that command much faster than you think. I thought it was going to be a challenging one for us but it's turning out to be pretty easy :)  I'd give that one a try for this issue.

it's really frustrating when your puppy chews your rug but please do not lock in in the bathroom and hit him.  

Zoe used to chew on my entrance rug when she was a puppy.  That rug is Jute so I think she liked it while she was teething.  When I caught her I would just say a stern "no" and gently push her away from the rug.  Or stand there on top of the spot shes chewing and tell her no.  She knew she's not supposed to chew it.  I know she knew because sometimes she would sit there quietly and tried to chew it in slow motion if I was close by.  So dogs are not dumb and they catch on fast.  Please be patient.  

My rug is ruined but I still have it (been meaning to replace it), she grew out of it and no longer chews on the rug.  

Oh I got confused.  The person that started this discussion isn't hte person that said he locks up his dog and hits it.  kl.Lipke...please see other suggestions :) 

don't you just love when they keep glancing at you to see if you are still watching and then they move ever so slowly and quietly towards the object that they want.  Little stinkers.

It totally cracks me up! I look at her and say " I can see you!!! Just because your moving slowly doesn't mean I can't see you!" It's like they think we are stupid lol! Total stinkers!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service