DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I've read that a harness can teach them to pull, although less likely with the double hook harness, but then I saw Zak George using a harness on puppies so am a bit confused which is better. Collar or harness?

Views: 301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it is more your preference and the puppy's behavior rather than one specific collar or harness being "best."

I personally would use a collar on any dog or pup that pulls.  My Oliver is horrible on leash, I use the Easy Walk Harness.  He still pulls, but much less and no stress on his neck.  My Ivy is great on leash, never pulls.  If we are not going for a walk, I hook her collar but if we are going walking, I use the Easy Walk on her as well. 

My suggestion is strictly based on experience. Others may have had a completely different experience than Yeti and I.

The first time we walked Yeti on his collar it was a nightmare. He pulled so hard that he choked himself the whole time. We ended up carrying him after awhile because the choking/noises he was making were obnoxious and frankly i was afraid he was hurting himself. We went out and bought a gentle leader. He is not a fan of putting it on but boy oh boy is he a good puppy on it. After a couple of weeks with the GL he started itching his snout uncontrollably and I hated that. Our trainer suggested that it was bothering a pressure point. (Not exaggerating he would sometimes itch for over an hour after a walk) so we switched to the easy walk harness (same maker as the gentle leader). He did pretty good on the harness, not too much pulling at all and definitely no choking or nose scratching!
Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago at our first CGC class. We had yeti all harnessed up when our trainer told us that we could continue using it in class,but he wouldn't be able to use it during his CGC test. So we stopped using the harness while training (mostly heal at the moment). Yeti is struggling a bit without the harness but I will say his heal (and not pulling) has come a long long way.
The moral of our story is, I wish I would have tried to train him a little bit with just the collar instead of running out and buying a harness for him after the first time of trouble!
Thanks that's good info that I will keep in mind. I've only bought a collar and he's had a collar on in every photo since he was 4 weeks so I'm assuming he's at least used to wearing one.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service