DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My new puppy has been home for five days and it has been an E motional ride. He went to his first vet appointment on Saturday, which revealed he was under nourished. Vet was concerned, He weighed in at 4.2 and he wanted to recheck his weight again today. He is not a great eater..... 1/4 C per feeding if I'm lucky. Karen has been a God sent with her support. His stools are pretty normal, a little on the soft side and very frequent but no diarrhea. He sleeps all day. Plays for 10-15 minutes and is out for hours. He sleeps all night....does not whimper in the morning to get out of crate.... I have to wake him up when I get up at 7:30. Went back to vet today. He's up to 4.13 lbs but vet is very concerned with his lethargy. Says puppies sleep a lot but this is excessive. He slept through 1.5 hour vet visit, nail clipping and all. Woke up for fecal and straight back to sleep. Vet wants him back in the AM before feeding for blood pre and post meal. Wants a cbc and to check for a liver shunt. Breeder says I can take him back and get me money back. How would I do that? He's already part of my family. I'm completely besides myself fecal on Saturday and today were normal. . Praying that tests are Normal and that he starts to perk up. Has anyone experienced this? Please say prayers for my cooper.

Views: 1303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

praying. <3

Monica, I'm so sorry to hear this. You know I've been thinking about you and this little guy all week. :) I'll continue to keep you both in my thoughts, sending lots of positive energy your way. 

Thank you Karen.... You've been so so helpful. I'll update you tomorrow.

I think that I would get pet insurance before there is any definitive diagnosis.  How old was he when you brought him home?

Very good thought.  Try for one with no waiting period if you can get it.  

My thoughts are with you, Monica.  How very difficult.  This should be a joyous time.  Please keep us all posted.

Monica, if God forbid it does turn out that he has a liver shunt, that should be covered under this clause in your breeder's warranty, as at this age it would be congenital. http://ic.upei.ca/cidd/disorder/portosystemic-shunt

Our Warranty covers your puppy in the unfortunate event that he/she is diagnosed with  a congenital or genetic health issue that is life threatening or greatly diminishes their quality of life, within 24 months of birth.  If this should occur you may elect to either (1) receive a replacement puppy of the same sex ( In the case of death or terminal illness only), or (2) receive reimbursement of vet bills for treatment of said health issue up to the original purchase price of the puppy, minus the Application Fee.  Reimbursement is for Treatment only , no reimbursement for tests or diagnosis of said condition will be given. All reimbursements MUST be submitted and treatment provided within 1 year (12) months of said diagnosis. You will NOT be required to return the original puppy. The guarantee is not valid if the development is due to injury, neglect, obesity, or rapid growth due to poor nutrition. Buyer must provide Seller with access to all Veterinary records and the ability to speak directly with the Buyers Vet.

I know that doesn't help much, but it is an option. 

I'm also thinking 'what if' as this is a truly worrying time...I fully understand Monica being beside herself and all my thoughts and wishes are for a simply sorted issue.

Try to wait for the blood work before jumping to conclusions. I am hoping for a good outcome.
Yes! The glass is half full! Praying for a positive outcome.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.   I hope the outcome turns out well.   Sending prayers.

I am so very sorry. It is awful when our babies are sick and especially one so tiny! With the help of the good Lord, your vet and your loving care, I pray he will recover completely.

Does anyone think there is any possibility that he is a lazy puppy and it's taking him longer to adjust to his new home? Has anyone had a puppy like this that perked up after a couple of weeks? Thanks everyone. I know it would be covered under breeder agreement, but how horrible. :(

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service