DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Yeti was making a weird noise most of yesterday and practically ALL night last night. I've never had a dog so I'm not sure if it's coughing or what. It sounds like our cats when they used to cough up hair balls (or try to at least). To my knowledge he isn't getting anything out. He was doing it at least a couple times every hour it seemed like. Any idea what it could be?

Views: 440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It might be kennel cough.
Stupid question, but should we take him to the vet or is that something that usually passes?

Yes, he should see the vet. 

My Dood makes that sound when she chomps on paper.  Bits are everywhere, but usually there's One in her mouth.  I would think that trying to ingest something "stringy" might also have that coughing/hack.  Say a piece of thread, hair or yarn.  Dinah also got into some pillow/toy stuffing and was making that sound. I did the classic "swish" in her mouth taught for Red Cross lifesaving, going pretty deep.  Usually I get it while it's still in the mouth just entering the throat. Hope this gives you some ideas to try before going to the vet.  They wait until it doesn't come out the other end...and do surgery. Most of the time, thankfully, it does come out.

We lived next door to a little dog that ate balloons.  Where they got so many of them I'll never know, but the poop was very colorful!

Just noticed the response mentioning kennel cough.  It's one of the early vaccinations that gets a booster. Hopefully that's not a worry.

Bordatella vaccines do not eliminate the possibility of a dog getting the disease. It just may lessen the severity. It's like flu shots for people. So even when a dog has been vaccinated, they can still get it. 

Here is a video
Attachments:
I would normally think it was something he got into however my boyfriend was with him all day yesterday and he says he didn't get into anything. Also the coughing has been going on for a whole day almost every couple minutes.

It does sound a bit like kennel cough (I searched it on youtube).  Was he groomed or at a day care recently??  I'm pretty sure if it is kennel cough, he will need antibiotics so I would make a vet visit.

If it's something like a hair, you need to use gauze to trap it onto your finger as you swish his mouth.  It could take hours to slide all the way down to the stomach, even with other foodstuffs being eaten.  After trying this, please follow your gut and take him to the vet. Peace of mind for him and for you.

Haley, this sounds like bordatella (kennel cough.) I would have the vet check him out. There's also dog flu going around in some areas, including here in the Chicago area,  so I think it's better to be safe than sorry. 

Just made an appointment for today at 2! If it is kennlencough will the prescribe an antibiotic? Should I steer clear of anything inpeticular?

They may or may not prescribe an antibiotic; if they do, it won't be something like metronidazole, lol, so no worries. I'd still give him his probiotics, though, with his history of digestive issues. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service