Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Many of you will probably hate me for saying this.Today was a day where I
questioned my decision to bring a puppy into our lives. Mind you, this
was not an impulsive decision. I thought it out for almost 2 years,
waited for my kids to be old enough and read and researched as much as I
could before deciding on the breed and the breeder. After that I waited
about 5 months on a wait list. After all this, today I have been
questioning the sanity of my decision.
   Ollie was a complete tyrant today.Biting, nipping, growling and pretty much acting like a complete
maniac. I give him plenty of stimulation through training and play, as
well as plenty of quiet time, but he was getting so wound up today that
it was out of control. He pretty much terrorized my loving and gentle
daughters. I was almost in tears with frustration. He was lunging and
growling for seemingly no reason. He also latches on to my shoes or
clothes and will not let go no matter how firmly I say "NO". When I try
to remove him physically, he goes completely berserk. I gave him short time outs but as soon as he was out he would repeat the whole process. 
   The growling and lunging to bite is a big concern to me. I got the number of a trainer
who does in-home sessions and I will be calling him tomorrow. Just so
frustrated today!!
I wonder if there is any chance that he will turn into the lovable, sweet doodle like the one I was dreaming of.

Views: 317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I brought THREE Australian Labradoodle puppies into my home at the same time.....at one point I said to my family that I am not finding any enjoyment from the puppies....the constant rough play, the chewing on our furniture and belongings, the constant peeing inside, the digging in their food and water bowls....it was non-stop!!.....Then, one day it all ended and it seemed they literally "grew up" over night. Today they are the most lovable and loving dogs I've ever had. In fact, we have since added a fourth doodle puppy two years ago....his name is Truman, and he is the most loving of all. The other three helped to train him as he followed their lead....but ultimately they all know that I am their "Alpha"....and that's what is most important to raising a good dog. I think your trainer will also agree.

Good luck, and keep your sanity......You'll be happy in the end.

Warmest Regards,
Kemp Rader
Wow!! 3 puppies at the same time!! Almost like having triplets...Can't even imagine how hard that must've been. Thank you for the support.
I can remember walking through my apartment crying my eyes out after discovering that Hendrix, who I had for one week, and was housetrained at 7 months when I got him, had pooped all over my daughter's pink carpet while I stepped out to take her to school. I was just saying over and over again, "what an idiot I am to think I could take care of this puppy. What a dumb idea!" Then my older daughter showed me a website about how crating is not cruel, and is necessary during the puppy stage for safety, socialization, and sanity. And then we began a regimented schedule of crating, with potty walks immediately after taking him out of the crate, as well as lots of activity in the form of long walks and long visits to the dog run by our house. I have to say that this has worked and he has calmed down considerably since those first days, six weeks ago. We can now leave him out in the apartment as long as someone is somewhere in the apartment with him. We still crate him when we leave the apartment, and when we go to sleep at night. We actually found that he sleeps better in the crate than out. When awake, he usually just lays around the apartment gnawing on chew toys. And we haven't had any more accidents, knock on wood! I think that is because we tire him out. Lots of outside physical activity. That's the key. Then he is less able to engage in destructive behavior around the apartment. He does still mouth us, particularly my daughters when they sit on the floor with him. He thinks they are his siblings when they are on the floor. Once they get up onto the couch or bed, he slows down and doesn't bother them too much. And although, they invite him onto the couch or bed, he doesn't seem interested. I hope this helps.
OMG you only asked yourself this question today? I have Max and he is 14 weeks old and I think there I days when I ask myself that question several times a day - LOL!! Max is a nipper and a jumper and a counter and table surfer, chases my 6 year old nips at her feeted pjs jumps on her and has razor puppy teeth then turns around and sunggles up to you and lays at your feet with a toy and looks up with his beautiful green eyes and smiles. I have found that his behavior is WAY worse when he is tired or excited. He is on a pretty regualar schedule and that helps me know when he needs his nap. We also try to get out and walk when we can at least a mile or two so he gets tired. We just started puppy kindergarten this week and I have already seen a big change in him in just the few days that I have been working him. Before Max I had a yellow lab whole was an alpha male and was a horrible puppy - it takes a lot of time, patience and some days a little bit of blood but you do get through it and you are going to ask why in the heck did I do this and what was I ever thinking!?!? We got our lab to a point where he was a great family dog, the bitting did stop, so did the chasing for no reason and I know deep down it will with my Max too that this too shall pass with time, training and patience - you are definately not alone and don't feel horrible for asking the question of why - it is 1pm here and I am certain that before today is out Max will do something to make me ask it and then turn around and lick my face and I will remember why. You will have days with your Ollie like this too. He will turn into the lovable doodle you were dreaming of it will just take time.
Absolutely, the first few months were really hard. There were several times I thought that we had made a big mistake! But once the teething passed Chewie never ever bites anymore, Now that he is a little over a year old, I can't imagine our lives without him!!
Ollie should be named Chewie..lol :-)
Thank you for the support.
Anyone who has ever brought home a puppy (or a baby:) has had panicky times when they thought,"what was I doing?" or Why isn't this working out like a planned?" You are doing the right thing by having a trainer advise you. Every puppy(child) is different but love, consistency, and discipline will win out. It is a wonder any of us ever do it(fill in the blank) more than once. I've have six grown children and have had many incredible companion dogs over the years. There as never been an easy first year with any of them. But survive this first year you will. And remember, you have a fabulous support group with doodlekisses. One day at a time, one day at a time.
I knew it would be hard and thought I was mentally prepared but I guess you never really are..Thank you for your support. One thing is for sure...I'll never give up on him. I'll keep at it, whatever it takes. There is a love bug in there somewhere :-)
This says it all for me. Devil Dog for sure...but behind those horns is a sweet boy who is just waiting for the right moment to show himself. I have seen him...I know he is there.
Hope each day gets better for you as it seems to be doing for us.
There are bad days but the good ones remind me how very much I love him.
Attachments:
I remember those days when Hunter was chewing on me like jaws, I had been up 5 times during the night to take her out and she ate my favorite pair of sandals. Oh yeah I remember many times thinking what did I do? Can I handle this? Am I just a crappy dog owner? I had never had a dog before and I was very intimidated. It got better and I really worked hard at training - just the basics I wasn't looking for miracles here I just wanted her to come when I told her to and didn't eat the house. Hunter would get wild at night and would try to play or eat I wasn't sure my girls who were 6 and 9 at the time. Now when I think about it she wasn't much different from my girls because when they got overly tired, or overly stimulated they were wild too. I started to put Hunter in her crate when she would start to get crazy - mostly in the evenings and I found she really calmed down. Its rough I know and I totally can empathize with your feelings. Hunter still will go after my younger daughters pant legs and jackets when they are playing and Kelsey will get upset and say "Hunter doesn't listen to me she thinks I am weak!" LOL Which is pretty funny but sadly true. The times get less and less now and Hunter is almost 2 years old now. I have told my daughters and Hunter on several occasions "Now I know why animals eat their young!". Good luck with the trainer - I think that is a great idea and will give you the tools and the confidence to control the situation.

It will get better and you will have that lovable doodle that you dreamed of - it just takes time and patience and a bottle of wine and box of kleenex :-)
and...don't forget the bandaids!!! We went through many. Our hands, arms and face were covered with them from the little nips and the needle sharp claws. All will come to pass and you will look back and ask yourself..."How could I ever have thought I made a mistake getting a Doodle?" Hang in there!
Lol on animals eating their young :-D
Thank you for the support. More time than not since that day, I am thankful that we got Ollie. He is a sweet boy a lot of times. My daughters are 5 and 9, so your experience in that interaction is very helpful to me.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service