DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have notcied since we have let Bear stay out throughout the night, he has become a Guard Dog. Let me tell you a little background................because my hubby snores LOUD, I tend to sleep on the couch in the living room (sorry for TMI). Anyways, we now have Bear have rein the entire downstairs and placed a gate going upstairs to the bedrooms (only reason is because of the kids' toys are in there and he tends to take and chew them up....LOL) We also live in a Colonial type house.

Anyways, my hubby and I have noticed throughout the night he tends to pace between where I am sleeping and the gated off stairs. He does not attempt to jump over the gate (even though he could). After pacing several times (or as my hubby says he is checking out the area) he will lay down in the foyer where he can see me and anyone else if they come down the stairs.

My hubby says in the morning Bear is usually laying on the chair next to me or on the floor next to the couch. Has anyone else notice their doodles showing this kind of behavior? I really feel if he needed to be, he would be a darn good watch dog.........he really seems pretty protective with our family.

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oliver is very much like this. He probably is not a very good "guard dog" but certainly is an excellent watch dog. He will start barking and, occasionally, growling, if he hears or sees someone new or something unusual (may just be a cat looking in the back glass door) and, if my wife is home alone, he reacts even more aggresively. He will bark and growl continuously and run to her and press against her leg, always looking towards the sound. On occasion, he will bark loudly and run to my wife and then to the spot where he hears something, continuing to do this until she goes with him to see...then he won't leave her side until he's convinced all is well. With me, I guess he figures I'm on my own!!
Max is very much a guard dog, although he would never hurt anyone he lets me know when he thinks someone is here or if he hears somthing outside even if it's the wind LOL!!
Koda can be like this too. I don't know how much he would protect me (he is a big chicken) but he sure as heck looks like he would. Anyone that comes up to us that he doesn't know he lets them know that I am his. Also, when we recently drove up the NY, he was on full alert when we were at the hotel (we stopped about half way). I literally had to sleep with the tv on so it would drown out some of the noises he kept hearing and growling at. He got himself comfortable on the foot of the bed, facing the door and stayed there all night. I don't even know if he slept. Poor baby. He slept in the car the next day. He's such a good boy. :)
Tanner is also a very good guard dog....If he hears something he will start to bark and run to the door ...He will stop barking when I go to the door with him and look through the window and tell him that "Its Okay".
Noel is such a growler, too and I have really worried about how this will mix with the therapy dog I hope she become one day. She is very protective and although I believe she would never hurt a fly, she certainly wants to make it clear that she does not want anyone messing wioth her "peeps"!
Both of mine are very good watch dogs.My male is a good guard dog as well... he is very protective of my husband and myself. I think he would bite someone if he thought they were going to hurt us.
Jordan does something similar here.
Payton (non-doodle) will stay in the bedroom with me all night long. I go to bed earlier than DH. Jordan will stay with me until I am asleep.She than moves to where ever DH is. Now if the dogs bark at night Payton is the checker,Jordan will run into the bed room and sit on the bed at attention waiting for the OK from Payton. She will be growling the whole time. In the day time if the dogs bark Jordan will coming running to me and do this also.
I have no doubt that my dogs would scare someone off if they were trying to come in the house.Now if they would bite I am not so sure. Both of their growls sound pretty mean.
One time on a walk this man came running up his driveway towards me (he was running to his truck) I thought Jordan was going to lose it. The man just stopped right where he was, with this look of fear. I said "I'm sorry", he said "No, I am sorry! I should know better than to run towards a woman and her dog." hehe. He was right.
Kirby is our little watch dog. I don't think he would guard anything, but he sure likes to alert us to anything and everything. Unfortunately Dex is learning from him so we have several bark-a-thons per day.

Hudson is usually the first one in bed :-)

Actually, I would agree that he does bark at anything "new" or "strange" as far as sounds go. And he is a little cautious of new people. When a new friend came over he did bark at him and didn't immediately run up to doodle hug and kiss him - he needed to sniff and check things out first. When I was sitting in my living room with "Bill", Hudson sat beside me and would go visit Bill but it took a while before he completely accepted him. This could be tough on my dating life!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service