DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My back yard is a mess....YUCK....3 dogs and 2 of them are doodles...I can't seem to keep grass all I have is dirt and everyone knows that turns to MUD.  I am thinking of putting in the "Dog Grass"  suppose to be that they can't dig in it (don't know if I believe that) and they can't pull it out by the roots and runs around with it either...I just want to know if anyone has heard of this type of grass or if anyone has this and what they think of it?  Any suggestions on how to make my yard not look like dirt...HELP.

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fescue or St. Augustine? I had never heard of the latter.
St. Augustine is a very thick, hearty, wide-bladed grass. It is tough to mow and lots of people don't like it. I don't think you buy it in seed form but plug it in and let it spread. I am such an ignorant gardener so I don't have the real information for you.
St. Augustine is one of the warm climate grasses. It's very coarse. Not really for us northerners.
My dog trainer has the artifical truff and she said it gets very hot in the summer..she also said that she started getting weeds growing up in the turff...I don't know how easy it would be to clean...I think poop is hard enough to take off the real stuff...I just keep seeding the brown stops and hope for the best..it sure sounds like we all have the same backyard.
I have Easy Turf in the area where my dogs run the most - the side yard and a bit of the back. This area runs into a large concrete area in front of the garage and beside the house. It was $5000 for just the area we did, but I chose it over granite countertops and I would do it again. It is really expensive, but seems to be indestructible. It has been in about 5 years now I think and showing no wear. The area is dug out 6-12 inches filled in with large and small gravel and sand, I don't remember the order, and then the Easy Turf is secured down every 6 inches. In addition to indestructible it is easy to clean, can be bleached with clorox ( two giardia attacks - no more dog park), and looks good. Best of all no mud! Also no water bill, no mowing or weeding and feediing.

As an aside we have St Augustine grass in the front and used to have it in the back. It likes really hot weather, is as tough as nails, can be torn to shreds and will regrow the next year. It is not the most beautiful grass, but as easy keeper. It does show dog use - yellow spots wear spots but since it grows by runners it just keeps on coming back. I hear it can be hard to get started, I wouldn't know as it was here when we moved in thirty years ago. We have had it thatched and rototilled every ten years. Occasionally we might throw a little weed and feed on it. Does need to be watered fairly regularly March through Nov.
Thanks for the comments, Ozzy keeps my yard as I call it the "mud pit" he also was so covered in mud that when he came in he slid on my tiles before I could wipe his feet. He lost his footing and I was holding his collar - well my arm was pulled out of the socket and I had to go through surgery to repair my arm..Ozzy didn't get hurt. He is 85lbs and I just never want that to happen again. We have a sprinkler system (I used to have a nice yard) they said we could still use that to keep the grass cool and to wash it off.. I am just wonder if it really holds up for a doodle that is Ozzy's size....
Thanks everyone.
Here is a link I found when I googled dog grass. http://www.samplerewards.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&a...

My backyard is one large mud pit because of all the rain this winter and my pack playing. My SIL put in artificial turf in her backyard. I was always hesitant to consider AT until I saw her back yard. It looks great and stands up well to her 5 dogs.
Thanks I checked this out and my yard is much worse...my problem is that when Ozzy runs he just makes holes with his feet, the grass is flying behind him..
Home depot and menards sell "high traffic" grasses. I believe they are a kentucky bluegrass mix. They hold up much better than fescues which are thin bladed shade grasses. Hope this helps.
There are fine fescues but the newer tall fescues are tough and have coarser blades. They also tolerate shade and thrive in sun and have low watering requirements. Kentucky blue grass is beautiful but not particularly good for traffic and it is high maintenance.
There are more shade tolerant varieties but tree roots, moisture also are a problem.Aground cover, such as pachysandra would do well and you never have to mow or rake.
Isn't pachysandra poisonous?

Let me go look. I thought it was.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service