DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My back yard is a mess....YUCK....3 dogs and 2 of them are doodles...I can't seem to keep grass all I have is dirt and everyone knows that turns to MUD.  I am thinking of putting in the "Dog Grass"  suppose to be that they can't dig in it (don't know if I believe that) and they can't pull it out by the roots and runs around with it either...I just want to know if anyone has heard of this type of grass or if anyone has this and what they think of it?  Any suggestions on how to make my yard not look like dirt...HELP.

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have never heard of Dog Grass but I am interested! My yard too is a mud puddle from my 2 doodles!!
Got the same problem compounded by the fact that my backyard is very very wet until June or even July. Never heard of dog grass, but my nephew out in AZ put in astroturf in his yard and it actually looks OK!
Aside from artificial turf I can't imagine what it is. Come join the Garden Group.
If you can find it, we all will order!!! I have three dogs and the grassy area is have 'used to be grass but now weeds" and the other half is 'used to be grass but now dirt." I just want the basics = I am not fussy, but green would be nice.
I never heard of it either. Our yard has BIG circles of dead grass. Someone wrote on DK that "you can have children & dogs OR a nice yard, but you can't have both. I guess I'll keep my spotty, muddy yard and my doodle =))
We overseed constantly. It helps a bit... our lawn maintenance guy (who thinks we are idiots for allowing two big dogs ruin our previously perfect landscaping) told us to give Lilo MSM to prevent the huge yellow/dead spots. Not sure it has helped much though. We have also dug out the worst areas in early summer and replaced with sod. Most importantly, we have decided to live with muddy messes from October - May and forego use of chemicals because the dogs rule outside ;)
What is MSM? A firend was asking me about giving their dog something to prevent yellow spots in her yard. I had never heard of it. Is this what you are talking about?
yes, MSM is a sulfur supplement that I use in conjunction with glucosamine/condroitin for joint health and osteoarthritis prevention as recommended by my vet. You can buy it at any drug store, I give each dog a 1000mg tablet a day.
I don't know what "dog grass' is, but fescue is the toughest grass that's suitable for use in lawns and stands up to wear and tear much better than most. Mine held up against Jackdoodle's huge ripping feet amazingly well. Alas, fescue turned out to be one of his worst allergens. :(
But for those of you whose dogs don't have inhalant allergies, I highly recommend it. It isn't astroturf, but there is a noticeable difference once it's established.
Nope - not fescue and my three! We used to have both short fescue and whatever the other length is called . Notice I emphasized used to. They plant grass on my school playground EVERY year because whatever they plant can't stand up to the children's play. I think that St. Augustine is the only one that might be tough enough.
We had St. Augustine when I was growing up and it held up well to two big outdoor dogs. They did make a path in it where they would always run, but apart from that it's pretty tough!
That's what I have been filling in with.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service