DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello all!

I was wondering how the various duties of owning a dog is divided up in your household. Do your kids help? How about DH? Are specific tasks assigned to specific people?

I'm just curious and interested on how others take on their doodle responsibilities.

Thanks!

Views: 233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DH and I split the duties equally, I would say.  He walks them as much as I do.  DH usually does morning feedings and I do evening feedings. We both groom Peri together.  We actually split up vet visits because sometimes it's easier for me to go, sometimes it's easier for him.  I probably handle the food portion more often - i.e. I buy Peri's food 9 times out of 10.  I cook for my chihuahua 9 times out of 10.  So I am the food junkie, but otherwise, we split up our doodles.  No kids yet, so no kid duties :)

Yeah, no kids here either - I can't even fathom taking on those duties yet (kudos to all DK parents).  I'll stick to Trix for now :)

DH and I share the Doodle duties pretty equally....although I think I get the better deal.  He does all the potty walks (no fenced yard), and I handle the feeding.  We walk and train them together.  I have my guys groomed, so I only have to comb them once a week.  I do that because they give DH a hard time with it.

Most of them fall to me but only because I'm retired now and DH is still working!  He has though recently taken up the week-end brushing duties.  He will hopefully be retiring sometime next year, and then they will be pretty much split 1/2 and 1/2. 

I usually do the feeding and the picking up of the processed food  :-)  Oldest son walks Shadow in the morning and my wife walks her most evenings.  I walk her most often on weekends and the occasional lunch hour.  I also groom her most often and do most of the training.... hmmm, now that I've answered this I sure am wondering what my kids do for this dog they wanted so much!!!

Sorry to make you come to that realisation, Arron!! Although I've heard of many kids that wouldn't do as much as your oldest son.
It kind of happened to me that way too - listed everything we need to do for Trix and realised that my name was next to 90% of the tasks. I would do anything for my little doodle, but it's nice to see how other households handle the responsibility.

My DH runs the dogs and feeds them breakfast. I am in charge of all grooming and feeding dinner. We share doodoo duty.

During the week Daisy is with me all day at work so evenings are DH's (our child flew the coop a couple of years ago to her own life). Daisy and Daddy play while Mommy cooks and gets on DK.

Weekends we do everything together!

Daisy's a lucky girl!  I wish I could bring Trix to work with me. 

No duty dividing here !!! I live alone so its all on me but I love tending to my doodles and enjoy all aspects of their care.

I organise the food, do the grooming but during the day when I am at work my partner takes Riley for a walk, brings him to work with him and feeds him (I leave it all ready)  I think I probably do more but it's because I want to.  I'm very fussy about all the grooming stuff and I generally brush him through every day and at the weekend do the ears,teeth and any trimming /nail trimming that needs doing.  It's bath time about every two/three weeks which we both do together.

Walking:  I do one per day and DH does one.  We sometimes walk together on the weekends.

Training:  DH came to all the training sessions with me, but I am the primary trainer and will be going on my own here on in.

Feeding:  I do morning and DH does evening.

Grooming:  I do all brushing and nail clipping and ear cleaning, DH and I bathe him together.

Vet:  Its usually me, as I am free during the day.

Poop patrol:  I usually do this at home, while DH is in charge at the cottage.  It is an easy job as he poops in the same spot always!

Play:  DH plays with him alot in the evening, ball, hide n go seek, and Roman-Greco wrestling.  DH is the "fun guy."

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service