DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So in light of some of the recent discussions on DK about out of control puppies and people having a difficult time with their doodles, I wanted to tell you all a funny story from last night.

Peri's breeder is on Facebook and we keep in touch constantly on there (she also lives in my area).  Last night she posted a status of "the puppies have discovered our toilet paper"...and follow up posts entitled "when doodle puppies go insane" had photos of them rolling it around the living room, photos of them playing with those crazy doodle mouths/teeth showing, her putting her drapes over furniture so they couldn't bite them, etc...  It literally looked like a complete mad house.  If I had her permission, I would post some here, but I am sure ALL of you can probably relate to this, right??  It was really hilarious!

The reason for my post is to serve as yet another reminder that this is pretty normal doodle behavior - and if you never experienced it, you have a very rare, relaxed doodle!  Last night I posted a response to the breeder about me remembering these days and sitting on the floor crying with Peri!  Peri's breeder commented that "at least you only had one!".  LOL! 

So, to all you new puppy owners:  Hang in there, this is normal and yes, it gets better with training, age and patience.

And all of us veterans:  Remember those days????  I don't particularly miss them, but Peri sure was a cutey back then....

Views: 492

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I imagine that JD may have been hell on wheels as a puppy, but I'll never know. By the time he got to me, he was very well behaved and never did anything destructive in the house to this day.

I have had puppies in the past, though, who certainly did their share of damage. When I was young and dumb and didn't know about crating a puppy when you left her alone, I came home to find the upholstery on my living room sofa slashed across the back, as if someone had taken a razor to it!

I never had the toilet paper issues, though, because every bathroom has a door that can be closed. :-)

Our puppy toilet paper incidents always happened when we had colds and had tp out for tissue. LOL, we learned our lesson eventually.

I was lucky in that I had puppies when either there were no kids in the house, or there were older kids in the house. Very difficult to get young children to cooperate with closing doors, I know.

It's difficult to get DH to cooperate. LOL

After reading about some people's adventures in "puppy land", I can say that Sedona was a pretty mellow puppy.  We had our share of shredded TP, potty accidents, spilled (on purpose) water dishes, etc., but all of our furniture and window coverings came through unscathed!  Of course, it helped that my husband was home with her almost all of the time and could keep an eye on her!  :)   

Yes, Peri didn't do a lot of destruction either, but these pictures of them just acting a little nutty reminded me how wild that stage can be :)

I do remember those days Allyson, they were wonderful, and in Daisy's case I did end up with one of those rare relaxed doodles, so much so I in a panic started a discussion because I was worried that she was ill or something.  Not that Daisy didn't have her moments (8 months she turned into a brat). I got the responses I needed from the experts here - "count your blessings" was basically what I was told, without DK I would have worried myself sick and probably would have spent countless $$ without insurance. Oh and I did get insurance because of here as well.

:o) I love picturing the craziness of the evening at your breeder's home.

I miss it all but the evening; I'm a crazy puppy, look at all of my cute teeth, you're so cute Mom, I wanna chew you up- Literally! I dont miss stuffing my pockets full of chews. I was stuffed like a scarecrow just in case he charged with his bouncing happy self-and Teeth! Long gone are those days. Funny, how the next post from these puppy owners is, " my doodle won't eat."
Well of course not. That puppy is full. It's been chewing on humans for a month.

out loud chuckling with that vision in my head!!! Thanks J - I really really really needed that!

Darwin was comparatively such an easy puppy, but I still remember how stressed I was for those first months. It was a huge change and I was overwhelmed. It gets so much easier though, and I miss his puppy-hood now. :-)

Camus came to me as an adult, but I have been through puppyhood with two (not doodles).  The first one, Roxy, was a little angel.  One time she took a pillow off the couch and I told her no and exchanged the pillow for one of her toys.  She never touched anything else that I had not given her.  I did not realize at the time that she was not a normal puppy. Then I got Einstein and learned the hard way what puppy behavior was really like.  I did not crate him (my bad) so he destroyed couches and beds.  My funniest memory of him was one day when I came home and he did not greet me at the door.  I knew then I had forgotten to close the bedroom door.  I immediately went to the bedroom and there he sat - in the middle of the bed surrounded by a soft white cloud of feathers.  Actually the only thing you could see other than this very proud looking black dog in the middle of feathers.  He found my down quilt to be a wonderful stuffed toy.  The whole room was a blanket of feathers.  It was my own fault and I just started laughing. I only wish I had taken a picture.  I also learned that feathers are very hard to vacuum up!

I am cracking up with some of these stories.

By the way, DH called me on his way to work and told me Peri had pooped on the living room rug.  WTD really?  She hasn't done this in 3 years!  Does she know I wrote a discussion about her being good or something this morning?  I hope she feels okay because this is odd. I think it's probably karma.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service