DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I was browsing a breeder's website and saw that she is now breeding "Double Doodles."  Hmmm wonder what that is.  Well it's a "North American Retriever" crossed with a poodle.  Now I learned from this site last week (ever educational) that a North American Retriever is a lab/golden cross.  So is this a new trend?  What do people know abour this and what do people think?

Views: 3950

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have heard of them off and on over the past year or two. Interesting concept. I know the service dog people are crossing labs and goldens quite often, so maybe tossing a little poodle in there is okay? But at what point will we have diluted the wonderful cross-bred dog to back to just another loveable Mutt?
Typically a NAR is the progeny of a Labradoodle x Goldendoodle mating. To be recognized by the AKC a new breed must be able to trace it's lineage to at least three breed. The NAR can do just that. Maybe in the next decade or so maybe we will see both the NAR and the Australian Labradoodle in the AKC Misc. class.
So then a "double doodle" results when the offspring of an F1 Labradoodle/ F1 Goldendoodle is then crossed with a poodle making it 1/8 lab, 1/8 golden and 3/4 poodle. Wow I feel very confused now. What would be the purpose of crossing the NAR back to a poodle?
No a double doodles are only LD/GD crosses.
Ok yes, my mistake. I went back and re-read what the breeder posted - double doodle and NAR are used interchangably not as distinct entities as I first thought.
It typically takes 75 years of carefully managed breeding with a closed stud book and meticulous record-keeping for a breed to be recognized by the AKC. Prior to attaining AKC recognition and being able to compete in conformation, breeds are admitted to what is called "Foundation Stock Service", where they remain for many years. Some very well-known breeds are still in FSS, among them the Bolognese and the Coton de Tulear.
Here is a list of breeds currently awaiting AKC recognition:
http://www.akc.org/breeds/fss_breeds.cfm
I assure you that no type of doodle will be on this list in my lifetime.
And we don't care, right? For sure the doodles don't!
Nope; if I wanted a pure-bred or an AKC recognized breed, I would have gotten one. I just wanted a nice dog. I love pure-bred dogs, but then, I love all dogs. I am sure that Jackdoodle doesn't care, either.
I agree so much with this. Love purebred dogs, love mutts, love them all!
I am a breeder, one who does breed Double Doodles (NAR, North American Retriever). My reason for breeding this mix is that we provide service dogs to disabled individuals and, for over 20 years now, service and guide dog organizations have been breeding a cross between a Golden Retriever and Labrador Retriever. This mix is called "Goldador" and they have become remarkable for service and guide dogs.
http://dogtime.com/goldador.html

Since we provide Doodles (to help people who have allergies and because disabled people sometimes have a difficult time cleaning dog hair) we decided to try the GD X LD mix.
As with all breeding, we carefully select the parents for intelligence, temperament, social skills, trainability and gentleness. The resulting litter has been fantastic!
Honestly, they are the best litter of puppies we have had, and we have had many great litters!
In fact, I kept 3 from this litter as breeding dogs. I hope to continue to improve on this breed but not for any recognition from AKC (I don't care one whit about the AKC) but because I care about our dogs and about creating the best possible puppies.
I'm posting pictures of my litter (these are from F1 Labradoodle and F1B Goldendoodle so they reflect the early generation traits, only with improved, non-shedding coats.)

Well they certainly get an A+ in the looks category. Thanks for the information and the pictures.
Thank you! :o) We love them.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service