DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We got our wonderful puppy, Vernors (Vern), two weeks ago. He has been
a great addition to our family.  Last week we also fenced in our yard
and thought this would be wonderful for both dogs. Fudge is giddy in
that back yard, but all Vern does is eat mud.  He runs all around
looking for sticks, moss, mud, worms, tree bark, etc. At the tennis
courts or on our walks, if he sees a worm, boom...it is in his mouth.
This is our first boy puppy and he reminds me of a little boy who loves
gross stuff. We never leave them in the yard unsupervised, but it is
very tiring pulling all of this stuff out of his mouth. We have tried
distracting him, but it is not long and he is at it again.  It is also
funny, because Fudge is so ladylike when she eats or drinks, but Vern
has water running all down his face and food going every which way. I
remember Fudge putting some things in her mouth, but nothing like this.
Does anyone have any suggestions to stop him putting everything in his
mouth? Is this just normal behavior and stop when he gets older?
Thanks!! 

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Enjoy a happy and healthy puppy. Slime, chewing, mouthing, counter surfing. I miss it all. Starlit is much better since her last vet visit. I know I will regret this but I can't wait until she is off to chew the TV Guide.

P.S. She still eats like a pig and drips water everywhere too! Spud acts like he is fine dining :) Go figure?

I really should post the pictures of our kitchen floor. I have them. It is a mess after she eats.
Hey Joanne be careful what you wish for!
LOL yeah I know. But it is so entertaining. :) Are we ever happy? Poor dogs. We don't want them to play, we want them to play. Can't wait for the puppy stage to be over and have nice trained dogs--we miss the puppy..................
Hey laurie , maybe you could start with the leave it command . You know Jasper loves all of these things also . Put something that he wants under your foot and have some tasty treats in your hand when you say leave it and wait until he looks at you then treat him . keep practicing . As you know Jasper doesn't always master this that well . they do love gross things though don't they !
Laurie--great idea. We use this too! That has too be one of the best commands :)
Thanks, Laurie. Yes, I have been using the leave it command. I think he thinks his name is now Vern Leave It :) I am going to add the treats like you suggested. He does love his treats.
Peri is still doing this at 1 year. Sorry to tell you that (as others have said)! She always has to have a stick in her mouth. Or she is running around with clumps of dirt, bark, etc....must be the retriever in her? I hope she just grows out of it? If you find a solution, please pass it along!
Of course, drop it and leave it works, but only if I am standing next to her all the time....
When Toby was a puppy, first thing when we brought him home, he began to eat gravel and crushed granite in our landscaping. This went on for awhile and we had to supervise constantly. Our vet suggested kelp capsules - found at health food store. The thinking was perhaps he was seeking a mineral or other nutrient to add to his diet! Either the kelp or time cured the issue. I hope this helps - I know how frustrating it is.
I am going to ask my vet about this next week. Thanks.
Callie eats mud and grass like it's her job (and if she's going to have a job, I'd like it to pay in something other than grass and mud vomit!)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service